Need help upgrading my PC

Associate
Hello all!

New here so apologies if I am framing this the wrong way. A few years ago I bought a custom built gaming PC, but obviously didn't build it myself. I'm now looking to upgrade some (or all if that works out cheaper) for no other reason than I fancy it, and it would be nice to enjoy games, videos, music etc at a higher quality. I like to play some graphic intensive games and I'd like it at a decent quality! My current specs are:

Case: Sharkoon TW7 Black Case with green fans
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k Haswell Refresh Processor 4.0Ghz (No Overclocking)
Cooler: Akasa Nero Quiet CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-GAMING 3 Motherboard - Haswell CPU only
Ram: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 4GB sticks)
GPU: Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Graphics Card
OS Drive: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO Solid State Drive
HDD: 1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps
SDD: 250gb Samsung SSD
DVD: 24x SATA DVD+/-RW Drive
PSU: Corsair CX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified PSU
Audio: Onboard High Definition Audio
Wireless: 300Mbps 802.11n Wireless PCIe Adaptor (for Wireless networks)
Monitor: 24" Asus VS247HR Widescreen LED Monitor

My budget is around £1000, ideally less but equally I would be happy to stretch if the upgrade is worth it.

Any suggestions, guidance etc?

Thanks folk!

Soldato
Heres a quick idea. Reusing some of your old pc parts like the case and hard drives etc.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,035.00 (includes shipping: £11.10)

If you can wait a bit some of these prices would come down as new cpu's from AMD are due and also new GPU from Nvidia. Obviously buying a second hand 2070 will save you a fair few pounds and could allow you to get a 3700x 8/16 core chip instead of the 6/12 core chip I specified.​

Associate
OP
Heres a quick idea. Reusing some of your old pc parts like the case and hard drives etc.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,035.00 (includes shipping: £11.10)

If you can wait a bit some of these prices would come down as new cpu's from AMD are due and also new GPU from Nvidia. Obviously buying a second hand 2070 will save you a fair few pounds and could allow you to get a 3700x 8/16 core chip instead of the 6/12 core chip I specified.​

Thank you so much for that! Now it would just be learning how to piece it all together... would it also be possible to add a new case or not worth it?

Soldato
Thats up to you and your budget really. I cant find any info on your old case to really comment on it.

Looking around will also save you money. The ryzen 3600x can be had for almost £30 cheaper at alternative sources, (DO NOT post competitors linkes etc on here otherwise the ban hammer will strike)

Back
Top Bottom