Need help with new PC

Associate
Hello guys , I want to build a new system for daily normal use and gaming. I have been looking around at a lot of other posts and just picking few things. My budget is £800 without GPU as I have an 1660 and can use that until I upgrade later, however I also have an 2080 super but I'm not sure if its an overkill and rather sell it , so please do advise me if its better for me to just use the 2080.
I also want the build to be future proof. I'm not sure whether to go with Intel or AMD either. So far I have come up with :

• H510 ELITE MIDI TOWER RGB GAMING CASE - 149.99
  • VULCAN Z T-FORCE 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT - 59.99
I know the case costs a lot and takes up the budget but I really like the case and would like to build around it and keep a decent colour scheme within the build however I also had plans to upgrade to an AIO cooler in the future but the case does not provide space for the cooler to be mounted on the top i think and only on the side and was wondering if thats a problem or if its okay. Any help regarding the build is appreciated . Thanks

EDIT : Any new suggestions for case is welcome too :) and I normally use wifi for my internet as access to cable is hard in my room.

Associate
only a partial answer, but a few weeks ago before nvidia 3000 gpu launch I'd have said sell the 2080 super while you can get top dollar and keep the 1660.

Now, I'd say you should sell the 1660 which is worth pretty much what it was then and keep the 2080 super that has lost a lot of 2nd hand value.

Edit : definitely AMD imo, but wait a few weeks for next gen ryzen specs and prices.

Soldato
What’s the rest of your current PC specs?

When did you get the 2080 Super? Is it possible to return it if was recently, and get a refund? I’d buy a 3080 instead, being launched next Thursday 17th.

If you’ve had it a while then I’d probably it and use it instead. As the resale value is tanking on 20 series GPUs. But would wait for AMD’s Zen 3 CPUs that are being announced 8th October.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply guys. My current pc specs is really bad as I’ve had it for YEARS now , it has 4GB RAM, onboard graphics card and AMD system, very old. And I can’t return it so my only option is to either use it or sell it. I was planning to use the 1660 for now as I won’t be gaming heavily yet and could get the 3080 later when I’m ready as the money could be used to improve the other components in the build.
Is there any motherboard you guys would suggests ? Or is it better to wait for AMD’s new cpu to come before choosing an motherboard. Thanks

Associate
Your ram is not enough and you didn't say what type it is.

Designing your system round your case is probably not ideal.

I'm sure we could save you £100 off the case and find you something just as nice.

Sparx is right. If the 2080 can be returned, you should. It is way unbalanced for everything else you need/want.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply , I will do my best to return the 2080 and see , so should I keep the 1660 and use that? Also the RAM not sure what type it is , it’s very old , going to get rid of the my old pc fully so can’t reuse any parts. And why is it not ideal if you don’t mind me asking and I’m happy with different case if you have any suggestions , no problems ;). Thanks

Associate
2080 super's are selling for around £400 (-10%) an a well known auction site. If you can get more than that by returning it to vendor, that's a good plan.

1660 depending on model is worth a bit less than half that.

Start with your monitor/TV or planned one and what you want to game at and work from there. 1080p resolution at 60Hz/frames per sec? or higher fps? or 1440p at 60fps, 1440p high fps, or 4K resolution?

eg Keep the 1660 for 1080p or maybe 1440. Keep the 2080 for 1440 high fps and maybe 4k for a while or sell both and get a 3070 or 3080 for 4K.

Nothing wrong with planning your build to go in a case you really like despite how what I wrote may come across. I was trying to say that choosing a balanced build for what you want/need is better, imo.

Associate
OP
I have processed a return and just waiting for it to be accepted so hopefully that goes well. 1080p is fine with me and yeah I will be doing more research and hopefully find a better case. thanks

Back
Top Bottom