need some First (well second) Build advice

Associate
Hey guys, first post on these forums by the way.

I have decided to treat myself to a new system, its my second build but the first was a good few years ago and was hoping people could look what I am planning over and offer some advice. Memory and Motherboard are the bits I am finding hardest to pick, also I have been looking on how to apply thermal past (first build just had a pad on the cooler) and their seams to be many different ways and people arguing over which ones work the best and should be used.

Already have
1 1tb HDD
A 280 Graphics card
A corsair 1k watt power supply

also getting a Cooler Master ATCS 840 case but they do not stock here. (yes I know its a lot of money but I want to treat myself to a nice case which will last a good few years)

build.jpg

Thank you

Soldato
My first question is what operating system do you plan to use? Obviously with that amount of memory, you will have to go 64-bit.

As for applying thermal passte, I would normally apply a pea sized amount onto the CPU, and then using the spreader card (or if not supplied, a drivers licence, credit card etc) spread the paste so that there is only a very thin layer across the whole of the CPU. This video shows you quite well.

Associate
Looks like a nice spec - why the extra HDD if you already have one? I can only assume you'll use the WD Green for data storage to take advantage of it's energy saving features and the one you already have for OS/Apps?

TIM application for an i7 - as you say everyone has their preferred method - I stick with the recommendations as per the Arctic Silver website - with the i7 chip oriented to have the corner 'triangle' mark at the top left, apply a think line across the centre of the chip as that will go across the centre line of all 4 cores and so should give good even coverage (you may need to give the HSF a little twisting motion as you seat it to help spread the paste) - and golden rule - don't use too much!

Associate
The western digital green drives use less power but don not perform aswell compared to the black drives due to the lower spindel speed

I'd suggest chaanging the cooler to a thermalright ultra 120 as it performs better and change all of the s12 to p12 fans as the p12s have a higher cmf

Permabanned
The P12s are specifically for high static pressure, good for use with the TRUE or for pulling/pushing air through a rad, for a normal case fan though the S12s are more suited.
Your spec looks bang on to me, very good choice of mobo too, and the RAM is fine also, enjoy

Back
Top Bottom