Need some help please? New PC build won't POST/BOOT

Associate
So I have bought many components from OC and I'm pretty happy with them. However, once I got all the ones I needed to build a new PC, I build it and go to boot it up, and it won't POST at all.

My colleague who builds computers came round to troubleshoot and he seems to think the CPU socket pins on the Motherboard (Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero) might be bent, as the GPU (RTX 2070 SUPER) and RAM (Corsair Vengeance DDR4) work just as they should. But despite those components working, the PC still will not POST at all.

I am also trying to use the Intel Core i9-9900K CPU, so if the pins aren't bent, then I may just have a dead CPU. I just want to see what the problem is so I can enjoy my new and upgraded PC.

Is anyone here able to help me and see if the pins are bent? I couldn't tell after looking closely and it's hard to see if any are on the pictures I took. (I took these with my work iPhone to try and get decent enough quality).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

qDeMEez.jpg
3YqCfyh.jpg

Associate
OP
I've removed one stick of RAM, tried powering on with no RAM and tried the RAM in different configurations but nothing.

I am not sure how to do the CMOS battery, I know the motherboard has a CMOS button on the IO plate, does that reset the CMOS at all?

Associate
The cmos button on the IO plate is worth trying.

The cmos battery is a coin sized battery on the motherboard, just had a look at a picture of the motherboard,
the battery is under the second pcie slot, remove the battery for a good 10 minutes.

Make sure there's no power going into the motherboard.
Switch off at the wall and press the power button to remove and residual power.

Associate
OP
Brilliant thank you. I'll give it a shot before work and see if that does the trick.

Also a non-related query: Is it best to have an M.2 SSD installed before a HDD with Windows installed on it, or is it best to leave that out until everything get's resolved and is operational?

Associate
OP
Thank you guys, I will see what I can do about this now as I don't want an unusable build at this point! Hopefully once the pins are put back then it will POST/BOOT. I shall keep you posted.

Associate
Also a non-related query: Is it best to have an M.2 SSD installed before a HDD with Windows installed on it, or is it best to leave that out until everything get's resolved and is operational?
Assuming you are putting Windows onto the SSD, I would leave the HDD out until Windows is installed and run first time setup.

But that's me.

Realistically, it makes no difference. However I do it so that I know that I am installing Windows onto the correct drive.

Associate
OP
Assuming you are putting Windows onto the SSD, I would leave the HDD out until Windows is installed and run first time setup.

But that's me.

Realistically, it makes no difference. However I do it so that I know that I am installing Windows onto the correct drive.

I was thinking of doing that and then cloning my original C: drive from the HDD to the SSD. Does that make sense or would it mess anything up?

Associate
I was thinking of doing that and then cloning my original C: drive from the HDD to the SSD. Does that make sense or would it mess anything up?
Depends on how you're doing the clone.

The way I would clone a drive (especally a bootable drive with Windows on it) is to use proper cloning software (eg Acronis - and even then do it all using bootable USB media) ie do a backup of the HDD and restore to the SSD.

That way, assuming the SSD is the same size as the HDD it should have no issues. However if the SSD is smaller then I think you are better off setting up Windows again from scratch.

But as I said, it depends what you actually mean (eg copying (data, eg word documents etc) files then yes you can drag and drop those but I wouldn't recommend moving installed programs (esp those in Program Files or Program Files (x86))

Back
Top Bottom