1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to buy a laptop today!

Discussion in 'Laptops & Tablets' started by topbanana, 19 Feb 2010.

1. topbanana

Hitman

My laptop is kaput but I'm starting an assignment on Monday for which I need my own hardware. So I need to buy a new one today from a shop. I don't fancy being ripped off from the usual high street places... so any ideas?

2. SnoozE

Gangster

depends where you live i guess

also you could use any of the online etailers because they pretty much do saturday delivery

3. topbanana

Hitman

Where in the world... ** WORLD. I feel dirty, :(

4. beermonster

Mobster

I'm pretty sure their prices are as cheap as online etailers, but you have the pleasure of seeing a product in the flesh and taking it home with you that day, you should feel clean and renewed.

5. topbanana

Hitman

They were a little more expensive. Actually the sales guy was quite knowledgable and very helpful. I always thought of them as a rip-off, but I'll probably go there again. Went for a Sony Vaio F, Intel i7, 1080p, 6GB RAM. Quite pleased with it.

6. dimo

Gangster

You bought that?? Is that the 16.4" version. I just went into **World on TCR, London.. just to check out what the resolution looks like (high res on a relatively small screen compared to 24"'s etc). Anyway, I used this Sony system.. it would cost an arm and a leg though!

How are you finding the HD screen? I'm currently thinking Dell Studio 15 with 1080p screen. That would be on a 15.6" though.. even smaller!.. im a bit confused as to whether or not its a good idea.

7. topbanana

Hitman

Yes I bought it. The screen is great and very bright. The profile it comes with is a bit blue, but someone posted up a really good profile they came up with using a Spyder, and all is good.

The Dell screens are very good so I hear. Once you start speccing up the Dells they're nearly as expensive, and you have to wait for delivery. The build quality on my last one was a bit suspect too.

8. dimo

Gangster

Ive customised a very similar system to the one you have. Only difference is the 6GB of ram you have vs. 4GB i specced (£180 extra for 2GB increase to 6GB @ Dell!). Final price; £600. The screen is the same res but 15.6 vs. 16.4. You must have paid ~£1k..