Needs a new wireless optical headset

Soldato
So I've placed a wanted ad but after some advice anyway...

I'm after some half decent wireless headphones for gaming, my Lucidsound LS30s have been broken so I'm looking to replace, I quite like the idea of TV optical out so I don't have to faff about (I have Xbox, PS and PC) but it's also nice to have the option to plug into the controller or PC for when I go online from time to time.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune and happy to snag something 2nd hand/older provided I can get something in good condition lol, but essentially I have no idea where to start...budget around £100 but would go up to £150 is it really was worth it.

Any help greatly appreciated :)

Soldato
I don't think you'll get anything with optical connection for £100-£150. Probably more in the region of £250. Such things are hideously overpriced in my opinion.

Plenty of wireless headsets around your budget, but USB only. Some wireless USB headsets will work with Playstation, but Xbox requires optical for wireless headset use if I'm not mistaken.

Used is probably your best bet if wireless and optical is a must.

Soldato
OP
I don't think you'll get anything with optical connection for £100-£150. Probably more in the region of £250. Such things are hideously overpriced in my opinion.

Plenty of wireless headsets around your budget, but USB only. Some wireless USB headsets will work with Playstation, but Xbox requires optical for wireless headset use if I'm not mistaken.

Used is probably your best bet if wireless and optical is a must.

Thanks, I'm just kind of stuck thinking optical give me the best audio along with the fact if I use my TV optical out I don't have to faff about each time I change what I'm playing.

I'm open to other suggestions (and even to be told what headset - even if it's too much, because I can fish around for a bargain), if there's another way to play sound within faffing I'm all ears lol. For example, I have the optical feed my Sony amp - could I use the output from that in some way?

I don't know - I'm totally out of my depth.

Soldato
One thing you could do, is get a optical DAC to connect to the TV, to which you could connect some wireless headphones that have analogue input only. They'll be considerably cheaper than any with an optical connection.

If you want a microphone though, it will have to be a headset most likely one where the base station has optical connection.

Bluetooth is a thought, but Bluetooth headsets tend to come with their own dongle, so are a closed system. Fine for PC and console (if compatible) use, but no use for TV though. You'd need Bluetooth headphones to use with the TV (by adding a Bluetooth output transmitter, if it isn't built in), but then no microphone. :/

I think you may either have to sacrifice the microphone, or find a used headset that has optical. Astro A50 is an example. Got to be honest, I don't think the A50 would be a good buy unless cheap enough. New, they are £300 and are hideously overpriced. Sennheiser RS175 for £230 are far better quality, but no microphone or surround sound effects. :/

Soldato
OP
One thing you could do, is get a optical DAC to connect to the TV, to which you could connect some wireless headphones that have analogue input only. They'll be considerably cheaper than any with an optical connection.

If you want a microphone though, it will have to be a headset most likely one where the base station has optical connection.

Bluetooth is a thought, but Bluetooth headsets tend to come with their own dongle, so are a closed system. Fine for PC and console (if compatible) use, but no use for TV though. You'd need Bluetooth headphones to use with the TV (by adding a Bluetooth output transmitter, if it isn't built in), but then no microphone. :/

I think you may either have to sacrifice the microphone, or find a used headset that has optical. Astro A50 is an example. Got to be honest, I don't think the A50 would be a good buy unless cheap enough. New, they are £300 and are hideously overpriced. Sennheiser RS175 for £230 are far better quality, but no microphone or surround sound effects. :/

Hi again, many thanks. I snagged some PS4/PC (which is my main gaming platforms) A50s brand spankers for £210 on eBay. Will take the optical from the TV so whatever is on the TV will play through the headset and I can switch chat between PS4 and PC. Should I want to play Xbox online I can just plug the lead into the controller...or spend ~£90 on a dedicated base station (not worth it but keep an eye out for a cheapie).

Thanks again for the advice - greatly appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom