Neflix AI is spooky

Soldato
Was just watching ITV and an ad came on for Jurassic world on tomorrow. Was at my parents so had a quick look on Netflix to see if it was on their so they could watch tonight and spookily enough it was displayed as the promoted video :eek:

How did they know?

Are they always watching?

Caporegime
lol can seem like that sometimes - this is like when people think facebook has listened to a convo then shown relevant ads...

(obviously a new release will be promoted in multiple places)

Caporegime
a lot of it is probably just keeping track of search trends on google etc I'd imagine then promoting those films on netflix front page.

Soldato
It's likely that Netflix and ITV are buying a "pack" of films from the distributor and it happens to be the same "top" film in each why is why they are promoting it so heavily.

Caporegime
a lot of it is probably just keeping track of search trends on google etc I'd imagine then promoting those films on netflix front page.

It can be more personalised than that and has been from the start, they'll make suggestions based on previous things you've watched (they even had a competition running for a few years with a 1 million dollar prize to improve their algo). Obviously they'll still seek to promote their new releases etc...

Soldato
Is this not a case of for X thousand things you see advertised on Netflix, this one has particularly stuck in your mind?

If it was a different film advertised, I presume you wouldn't have given it a second thought?

Ie it's pure coincidence, and in this instance, the top film happens to have matched your conversation.

Similar to how people are convinced they look at a clock and it's the same time every day, when in actual fact, you look at it frequently, but only take note on those significant numbers.

Last edited:
Associate
Think it's just a coincidence, it's been pushed on my account every time I log or finish watching something last couple of days and I've not mentioned it or searched for anything like it.

Caporegime
anyone else noticed a lot of websites won't work and load a blank page if they can't track you with cookies or is that just firefox being less supported

Soldato
OP
Is this not a case of for X thousand things you see advertised on Netflix, this one has particularly stuck in your mind?

If it was a different film advertised, I presume you wouldn't have given it a second thought?

Ie it's pure coincidence, and in this instance, the top film happens to have matched your conversation.

Similar to how people are convinced they look at a clock and it's the same time every day, when in actual fact, you look at it frequently, but only take note on those significant numbers.

No :confused:

An advert came on ITV saying Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom on tomorrow @19:30, this was during ad break in 'The Masked Singer USA'.

To save the folks watching it with ads and when they wanted I immediately looked it up on Netflix app on my phone to see if was in their catalogue.

It was the promoted film (the one showing in the background that shows little clip and takes up a third of the page)

If I go on now it promoting something called 'Baki', some anime.

Soldato
It came out on Netflix the other day, that's why they're promoting it too. You normally find that films come out on more than one service at the same time once they are clear of the exclusive rights that other services have, Sky for example.

Back
Top Bottom