1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neighbour doing some ugly alterations...

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by Chris S, 24 Jun 2020.

1. Chris S

Associate

Hi,

My neighbour (directly across the road) has a wheelchair ramp as both he and his mother have disabilities, this morning I noticed that they had someone painting this ramp bright red, it was a basic grey metal ramp before.

This is a real eyesore, are they actually allowed to do this? I'm not sure if there's any regulations against it or not. It looks absolutely horrible.

Thanks

2. pepp77

Mobster

Cant see it being any different than them using ugly bright red tiles instead of painted concrete. We don't have the HOA type things a lot of US housing areas have.

3. Space Monkey

Don

Ever thought it's to do with poor eyesight and they need the extra visibility?

4. tom_e

Man of Honour

Don't look at it, problem solved.

5. Chris S

Associate

Good contribution thanks.

I still don't see the need to paint the handrails and the entire ramp itself bright red, there are less dramatic ways to increase visibility.

6. Space Monkey

Don

Really, you have their disabilities? Sad state of the world this really :rolleyes:

7. Minstadave

Caporegime

Live with it. This and the eBay lawsuit thread are equally embarrassing.

8. Space Monkey

Don

Fully agree :(

9. llamadal

Mobster

Welcome to a computer enthusiast forum to moan about disabled people.

10. james.miller

Capodecina

Strong first post. Also, we'll need photos if you want to give people any hope of understanding your perspective on this. Otherwise you're just a guy who signed up to a computer forum to moan about a disabled ramp.

edit: damnit, beaten to it.

11. tom_e

Man of Honour

There's nothing to stop them from doing it, see my previous post for solution.

12. lewism

Mobster

Good thing they dont have to ask for your permission because it's none of your business.

They could paint their house neon bloody pink if they wanted to and bar being in a listed area, you don't have a pot to do the proverbial.

13. Gray2233

Mobster

14. Dis86

Caporegime

Do you? You've assumed that they have vision problems.

That's incorrect. There may be covenants in action and also some local councils will have bylaws in place that specify any changes must be in keeping with the local area.

15. Goksly

Capodecina

Go around there and threaten to break their legs if they don't change it back.

Oh...

16. Space Monkey

Don

It was in response to the OP moaning about an disabled family, he has no idea why it was painted bright red, and I have some long experience with people with that have various struggles, and I've not assumed I was asking the OP if they knew, very different statement ;)

17. Dis86

Caporegime

That's not what you said, you asked if he had their disabilities. Not if he knew whether they have vision problems or not. He wasn't moaning about a disabled family - he was moaning about their decision to paint a ramp bright red.

Also as someone who previously designed buildings for those with disabilities I wouldn't suggest a solid red ramp. For visual impairment contrast is key. Typically on a ramp it would be done with handrails that contrast to the surrounding environment, yellow or blue tend to be good colours for this. Red, over time will tend to darken and stain and becomes indistinguishable from brick (to those with poor vision). From a maintenance point of view it can also be hard for the visually impaired to therefore see rust. Also because the handrails mark the limits there's no need to paint the whole ramp although a band top and bottom will define the edges in addition to the handrails for those with particularly poor vision. On the ground this tends to be yellow.

18. Space Monkey

Don

If he had answered my comment, he would have to have said no I don't, so I then I would reply well how do you know what they need then?

As for the rest, there's so much to say, but TBH it's late, it's hot and I can't be bothered lol :p

19. wolfie138

Mobster

absolutely agree, why haven't they fitted neon tubes?

20. flea.rider

Wise Guy

maybe they don't like the colour of your house and are getting back at you .. lol