Nest Hello Doorbell Installation (Home Hub/Minis as chimes)

Soldato
Hi Everyone,

I remember creating a guide a few years back for the Nest Thermostat, so figured I do a quick rundown of the Nest Hello I installed today. Very easy, nothing to be afraid of.

My original doorbell had actually broken, so I had to get a new one anyway.

The original one was a door chime and transformer all in one unit. Basically how they work is that you have a standard 240v feed coming in which gets converted to a lower voltage (in my case 6v). There are wires connecting the 6v feed to the chime with the doorbell in the middle acting as the switch. You press the doorbell, it completes the current and the chime rings.

Usually, this is fed from the lighting circuit, so turn it off at the fuse box.

Here's a photo of the old chime.....it all got ripped out. Don't worry where the wires go, makes no difference.

dOH2vQa.jpg

dtnC8ZC.jpg

I filled in the holes, sanded and couple of coats of paint.

The nest requires 12v or 24v so you need to buy a transformer and a box to fit it in. Speaking to an electrician, it is recommended to wire it up at 24v as it's less load through the cable...which is pretty thin.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07J2NWYC4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/9792114041/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stick the incoming 240v (live+neutral) in the top, and the cable to the doorbell in 0v and 24v

ZqbOfMM.jpg

Then get a flat screwdriver and rip the old crappy doorbell out and screw in the new one. Doesn't matter which way round the wires go. Luckily I used the existing bottom hole, and made the top one bigger so I could push back the nest clips. I then made a new hole for the top screw.

rbx5QsQ.jpg

If you struggle to get the nest hello clipped in, you have probably screwed the plate in to tight. Loosen it at the bottom.

b0YS0Hi.jpg

Next I flicked the power back on and got it setup in the app.

Spent the next hour mounting the Hub on the wall and threading the power cable through the wall to a mains socket on the other side.

I used this wall mount

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SMNDLLK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hNlsUvL.jpg

Just got a tiny bit of sanding and painting left but I'm happy with it

GMzceBW.jpg

Having the Hub here is brilliant, as are the google minis dotted around the house acting as chimes.

Associate
Thanks for the tag,
Just waiting on the enclosure and the bell wire coming coming then I'll get started hopefully they arrive tomorrow.

So the hello will work in either 12v or 24v, that explains the numerous different wiring diagrams I've came across.

I'll have the chime box next to it as well, I've found someone on ebay that 3D prints boxes to cover it all up might get on of those to finish it off

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the tag,
Just waiting on the enclosure and the bell wire coming coming then I'll get started hopefully they arrive tomorrow.

So the hello will work in either 12v or 24v, that explains the numerous different wiring diagrams I've came across.

Yeah, and an electrician I spoke to said to use the 24v. He gave me some volts/wattage calculation thingy which meant the load through the cable is much less at 24v (youd think it would be the other way around).

Back
Top Bottom