Netflix comms boss sacked for using very bad word

Associate
Really? The fact that it has to be referred to as "the n-word" is utterly pathetic. We live in the real world not Harry potter's universe. It's like he who must not be named ffs.

Saying that we've got 2 out of the 4 triggered horsemen in here, just need explicit and Vincent next!

Assuming you mean me, give some Examples where I've ever been "triggered"

Right now.

I'm neither offended nor are me feelings hurt.

I always ask for examples when somebody baselessly accuses me of something, and very rarely do they ever back their statements up.

With regard to the story. Need context of what happened and details.

If it was literally a meeting about how to treat/deal with sensitive words, and he used the sensitive word in a list scenario then it's a complete overreaction to sack him.

Context. It's amazingly important.

Are we going to get to a point where dictionaries are censored and no longer contain the word and instead jist simply say "n-word"? At this rate we're probably going to see book burnings!

:rolleyes:

I hate to break it to you Dis86 but you’re clearly the most triggered person in this thread so far...

:p

Discussing how pathetic something is doesn't mean you're triggered.

Fancy offering an opinion on the point of discussion though?

Classic GD.

Here it shall be that only the lefty lib flakes get 'triggered'. All others are paragons of good virtue and common sense whose grumbles and fist-shakes are righteous and are beyond being triggered. Or so it would seem.

Please explain to me how people with leanings to the political right can post such threads in GD and grumble constantly about their rights, freedom of speech etc being taken away and yet it is only those that lean to the left that are accused of being 'triggered' when they present a counter-view?

Please define 'triggered'.

As for the comments on the OP, I wasn't at the meetings so I would refrain from comment as I don't know the context of these and how the word was used.

Caporegime
Did I miss the part where we definitely established that?

Clearly.

"Variety obtained a copy of a memo Netflix CEO Reed Hastings sent to employees to explain the situation. CNNMoney confirmed the accuracy of the memo through a source familiar with the matter.

It recounts an incident that occurred "several months ago" when Friedland used the N-word during a meeting with Netflix public relations staff during a discussion about "sensitive words." Several people told him they were offended by his use of the full word, according to Hastings's memo"

Caporegime
we need a word only white people can say so we can get offended when a black person uses it so people realise how ridiculous it is

Caporegime
The first incident was several months ago in a PR meeting about sensitive words. Several people afterwards told him how inappropriate and hurtful his use of the N-word was, and Jonathan apologised to those that had been in the meeting. We hoped this was an awful anomaly never to be repeated.

I highly doubt he was simply reading it off a list. Surely anyone who applied a bit of reason to this whole affair can see that there must have been something reasonably significant which took place?
And yet black rappers use this word all the damn time, with gay abandon, in any context they please. Often being wilfully offensive at the same time.

Man of Honour
Black people need to let the word die and move on, otherwise things will never change, it's in their hands for this to change

Too many people get too much power from the situation for that to happen. People who like racist double-standards and racism in general and the power they gain from it are not going to give up such a potent weapon. Look at this scenario - they got a very high ranking person sacked purely because of his "race". What racist would willingly let go of that power? Not going to happen.

Soldato
I hate to break it to you Dis86 but you’re clearly the most triggered person in this thread so far...

He's clearly triggered so deeply by words in a previous thread that it's is forcing him to vent here.

A couple of posts in and he's whinging about people both in and not in the thread. Serious chip of unresolved issues and lost arguments on his shoulder.

Not obvious at all @Dis86

Caporegime
He's clearly triggered so deeply by words in a previous thread that it's is forcing him to vent here.

A couple of posts in and he's whinging about people both in and not in the thread. Serious chip of unresolved issues and lost arguments on his shoulder.

Not obvious at all @Dis86

And what unresolved issues or lost arguments would they be? Any chance of offering your opinion on the matter at hand?

Soldato
And what unresolved issues or lost arguments would they be? Any chance of offering your opinion on the matter at hand?

All yours to explain since you're the one swinging labels around at other members even when when they're not in the thread. If that's not a symptom of unresolved issues from elsewhere what is.

I put my opinion on the topic in the second post in this thread, awkward you would ask such a thing.

Soldato
The solution to this is very very simple. White and non-black ethnic origin people need to be wholly offended by the n-word in any context or any media.

Pressure should then be put on any tv, film and music content containing this word to be banned, regardless of who is saying it.

Instead people are still playing at double standards across media and workplaces; whether it is a power play or just naivety, letting this continue on.

Given the demographic of execs in media, banning this word would be a relatively quick process.

Caporegime
The solution to this is very very simple. White and non-black ethnic origin people need to be wholly offended by the n-word in any context or any media.

Pressure should then be put on any tv, film and music content containing this word to be banned, regardless of who is saying it.

Instead people are still playing at double standards across media and workplaces; whether it is a power play or just naivety, letting this continue on.

Given the demographic of execs in media, banning this word would be a relatively quick process.
No we just need a new apartheid. Those who are perpetually offended need to be segregated from the rest of us. One place for the PermaTriggered, and one space for sane people. And they should not be allowed to mix. They can have their own internet as well where they can trigger each other endlessly.

Caporegime

Are there any other words that would cause a film to be Insta banned?

Even before the film 633 squadron which was on tv a while they had to put an announcement on first advising that said word was said in a time and place of that period.

Frankly it's shocking that if I used the name of the character I would get hate.

The word Hitler or being called a little Hitler for example should bring more scorn as Hitler oversawmass executions of people in much more recent history but doesn't get the same I've.

Back
Top Bottom