Netgear DG834G and an Apple Powerbook G4

Associate
This is a weird one..... why won't this Apple laptop connect to the Netgear Access Point. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Are there any Mac owners here using this Netgear product?

ADSL Router - Netgear DG834G
Firmware - v1.05.00

Apple Powerbook G4
1Ghz PowerPC G4, 256MB RAM
Powerbook 6,2 (Version 1.1)
OS X v10.2.8

WiFi NIC installed: "AirPort Extreme Wireless Card, M8881Z/A, 802.11g, OS X 10.1.5 "

This laptop is happy to connect to a Netgear WGR614v5 using 128-bit WEP. But it then refuses to connect to a Netgear DG834G at a different location which also uses 128-bit WEP. Both routers are configured in a similar way.

On the ADSL connected DG834G....
I tried 128-bit WEP - no connection for Apple Mac.
I tried 64-bit WEP - still no connection.
I tried no encryption - and the Apple Powerbook connected without trouble.
(I cannot use WPA due to having to support some old XP Laptops)
There has been no trouble with XP based laptops connecting to the 128-bit WEP.

Does any one have any suggestions to try out? :) :confused:

(Note: I will be upgrading the firmware at some stage, but the router is 100 miles away and I am using a remote connection to work with it. If I update the firmware, I need to be next to the router to rest all the details.)

Edit: I have already made two obvious suggestions - throw the mac out of a the window of a tall building and buy a PC. Or use an ethernet cable. :D

Associate
OP
I should have realised that there would be trouble when the CD that came with the WiFi NIC didn't actually support the OS version on the Powerbook. So I had to find drivers at Apple's website. (Even though the NIC claimed in it's paperwork to support the OS on the laptop....)

So Tiger? Do you think this will this definately help? Unlike M$, I have noticed that Apple like to charge for every minor update of the OS. Bit of a shock I came across when I was installing the WiFi NIC. So I don't want to tell this person to spend money on "Tiger" unless they have to.... (Been enough of a pain as it is with this Mac Laptop... could be the last straw for it if I have to say "you need another £100 upgrade for that laptop to work...")

Soldato
MAllen said:
So Tiger? Do you think this will this definately help? Unlike M$, I have noticed that Apple like to charge for every minor update of the OS. Bit of a shock I came across when I was installing the WiFi NIC. So I don't want to tell this person to spend money on "Tiger" unless they have to.... (Been enough of a pain as it is with this Mac Laptop... could be the last straw for it if I have to say "you need another £100 upgrade for that laptop to work...")

No, they don't.

Microsoft charged for an upgrade from Windows 2000 to Windows XP, yes?

10.x upgrades aren't free, but 10.x.x upgrades are. Apple just release updated versions of OSX on a more frequent basis (every couple of years).

I can't say for sure that it'll fix the problem, but it's likely that it will - I know Airport support in Jaguar was very flakey though. Make sure he has 512mb of RAM or it'll run like a slug if you do decide to go down that route.

Associate
OP
Well - I'll pop it up as an option....

Weird bit is that it works fine as 128-bit WEP on the Netgear router that connects to Cable, but not thew ADSL one. Very odd....

Even odder is the router it doesn't work with is the newer of the two....

(Didn't mean to Mac-Bash.... I just was curious as to the surprise charges. Is there really a huge difference between the OS's? 2000 to XP was a pretty big leap, but to be fair to M$ I can still use my WiFi kit in all versions of the OS. ARGH!! Look at me - you have me (almost) defending M$ LOL!! :D)

Back
Top Bottom