Never ever going to buy another ipod or reconmend them to any one

Associate
OP
Rite havnt sorted the ipod out gonna ring the apple shop if they dont kno it going back and ill get a sony or summot like that seem to be a lot of trouble with these ipod shuffles and them not playin and the green light just stays on

The girlfriend happy what ever she gets (thats a first) only cuz im paying tho

The sli problem sorted it. The ipos made my comp get a system disk error some how so it defulted my bios and i did kno so i looked at the settings and seen the pci-e slot wasnt the rite settings

Soldato
Brum Man said:
Just a quick question about Itunes. I have my music on my 'E' drive that takes up around 12gig. Now I have just copied all these songs in to Itunes, but where does or how does Itunes store the music.

Does it just simply create a reference list that points the ipod at the correct files on the correct drive to update it when it's plugged in? The itunes file in 'my music' is around 2 gig so I know that it doesn't actually copy all the files in to itunes.
It just creates a reference to the files (Right click -> Get info)

So you bought the bargain basement iPod (and I must admit, the shuffle is rubbish compared to the competition), came across a big and as such you're dismissing an entire company's product range? I have no idea what bug you've come across, but in my experience iPods have been the easiest of all MP3 players to set up (And I've played with Sony, Creative and Iriver players). The iTunes software is so intuitive to use, I find it hard to believe you had any issues trying to work out how to get songs onto your iPod! :rolleyes:

Associate
Energize said:
Ipods sound awfull anyway, it must be the only mp3 player with no bass. The fact that your forced to itunes instead of just wmp or drag and drop shows how desperate apple are for people to use their software, that would be like microsoft forcing you to use only wmp on windows.

Thats all the older iPods. The new 5G ones and the Nano (and the iPod Shuffle - whoch has the best SQ) sound great. DRM for buying from iTunes Store is why they lock the players down.

Personally I don't find iTunes hard to use and most people muddle through. However when I look at people iPods I notice that most people haven't their music organised properly.They just throw stuff on their any old way. Tags are too much hassle for most people.

If you don't like iTunes use another manager like Media Monkey. You don't have to to use iTunes.

Last edited:
Associate
I've got an SPV phone with an extra 1GB of RAM and Windows Media Player. It has made me wonder why iPod Shuffle's exist at all.

The phone wasn't even that expensive, and has most of the functionality of a decent PDA, syncs up with Outlook etc, and will play video and audio.

Plus I can't be bothered to cary around more than one device with me :p

The 1GB gets filled up pretty quickly (all my mp3's are at high bitrates), but I refersh the contents with a little Perl script I wrote every night - so the capcity doesn't really matter for me (unless i were to go on a long trip).

daz

daz

Soldato
Energize said:
Ipods sound awfull anyway, it must be the only mp3 player with no bass.

No bass generally means bad headphones. I have no such problems with my Koss Porta Pros... EQ set to off.

That said, SQ on my old Creative Jukebox DAP was slightly better but the ipod SQ is by no means bad.

I'm another person that hates itunes, sometimes I think it has a mind of its own, the problem I have is all my mp3's are on my hardrive seperated by albums alphabetically in their own folders, now if I want that exact file structure on the ipod I have to create a playlist in itunes for every folder/album which what i've been doing, I would'nt mind using itunes if you could at least select all your music folders and itunes make them into play lists.

Or maybie i'm missing something and there is a way to do this with itune :( ,

daz said:
No bass generally means bad headphones. I have no such problems with my Koss Porta Pros... EQ set to off.

Word, I'm using the same headphones, with the EQ off there's bags of bass.

Last edited:
Associate
The problem is not BAD earphones :rolleyes: its the impedance and how the pre 5G iPods (helpful to say which ipod since their not all equal) handles that.

lowrider007 - if you don't use tags don't buy a iPod. Buy an X5 or iRiver.

Koss Porta Pros are pretty good earphones. They ALSO may not have the impedance problem with an older iPod.

Sparky191 said:
lowrider007 - if you don't use tags don't buy a iPod. Buy an X5 or iRiver.

I went for style over convience, not the best way to do things I know, I must admit tho some of the other mp3's players out there on the market are looking really nice so I could be temped.

Koss Porta Pros are pretty good earphones. They ALSO may not have the impedance problem with an older iPod.

Well I am using a 3'rd generation ipod, I still think they have the best sound quality, I,ve listen to the newer pods and I just were'nt impressed.

Soldato
Does itunes recognise ID3v1 and IDv2 tags or just the latter?

I must adimit I had a about a 10 minute play for the 1st time ever last night and found it very easy to use, I mean you just drag and drop all the folders in to itunes and it automatically sorts the songs by their tags anyway, what's difficult about that?

Why would you not have your music tagged, it allows you to add so much more information about the track than a simple file name!

If you haven't got them tagged get a http://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html and you can tag all your songs in no time!

Man of Honour
Theres some right thick people on here.
I've got two teenage daughters that worked I-Tunes out in 5 minutes on christmas day.
I-Tunes is also drag and drop.
Theres no difference to opening up Windows Explorer and dragging to it and opening up I-Tunes and dragging to it.
For those who want it even simpler then buy Anapod Explorer.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
itunes so simple to use my cat could do it :p

also if you have an ipod you need decent earphones...im using E3C's and sound quality is big improvement :)

Associate
Sparky191 said:
How much was it with no contract?
£120 for the SPVC550 - although you may be able to get the SPVC500 for less. The SPVC600 is also out now :)

Soon they will bring out higher capacity SD cards too :)

Considering that some people are carrying around 3 devices I reckon it's great value. I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of having my pockets full of PDA, MP£ player and phone any more. It's also cool to be able just to answer the phone in the middle of a song. There is a mic on the wire for the headphones so you can just push a button and start talking :D

Soldato
dmpoole said:
Theres no difference to opening up Windows Explorer and dragging to it and opening up I-Tunes and dragging to it.

Exactly, it is essentially drag and drop, but instead of dragging and dropping on to another HDD you do it in to itunes.

Before I ever used itunes I thought there was some sort of complicated program that you had to type in the file name or do some sort of brain surgery to get the files in there, but it is just drag and drop, unless there is something I'm missing :confused:

Associate
AFAIK in the MP3 world "Drag and drop" usually refers to the fact that you use files and folders not tags. That you can drag and drop in the interface of an app like iTunes isn't what Drag and Drop usually refers to. What it means is USB Mass Storage (UMS) Drag and Drop compatible. Neither Sony or Apple units do this. Ones that do are iRiver Cowon, and with the latest firmware some of the creative units. Though the creative ones still navigate by tags only.

Why not tags? Lots of reasons. Because its a PIA for one. Another is that is doesn't work well for classical, opera, or multi artist, composer tracks. Another is that different apps handle tags differently. Sorting by Album Artist instead of Album and not handling compilations properly. For me iTunes has a habit of tagging very badly putting different CD's in a box set into different Genre's or even splitting albums up into different spellings of artist or album.

Personally I don't find having a few thousand artist and genre types useful to navigate. Most of the people I know with iPods don't tag their stuff properly and simply use it on shuffle or only play the albums they can actually find. I get around it myself by using my own genres tags and retagging my stuff. But its a PIA when you've a large library. Mines at 50GB and thats not even all my CD's. I'd say only about half of it is tagged correctly and I've been trying to clean it up for months.

As for iTunes organising the files on your HD. I don't see any point in doing by artist only. The end result is a folder with a few thousand directories. Which a bit dim whatever way you look at it.

Soldato
Sparky191 said:
AFAIK in the MP3 world "Drag and drop" usually refers to the fact that you use files and folders not tags.

I'm aware what Drag and drop refers to, that's why I said it's essentially the same as...

Sparky191 said:
Why not tags? Lots of reasons. Because its a PIA for one.

Why, I can tag an album using the above prog in about 10 seconds

Sparky191 said:
Another is that is doesn't work well for classical, opera, or multi artist, composer tracks.

It works perfectly well, you can even use the ID tag to make the file name if you alter your own string value that it uses.

Sparky191 said:
Most of the people I know with iPods don't tag their stuff properly and simply use it on shuffle or only play the albums they can actually find.

I don't know many people with ipods but I definitely find that with most peoples organisational skills of their music on their computer, most seem to have no idea how to organise well! But I think it's just one of those things that you need to do once to tidy it up, and then it's just a case of doing it properly when you add more.

Sparky191 said:
But its a PIA when you've a large library. Mines at 50GB and thats not even all my CD's. I'd say only about half of it is tagged correctly and I've been trying to clean it up for months.

When I was at uni I had a friend with a collection of about the same size as that, and using the above program (I used LOTS in the process of finding one that was any good), he managed to do the whole lot in less than a night.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom