Never ever going to buy another ipod or reconmend them to any one

Man of Honour
Sparky191 said:
AFAIK in the MP3 world "Drag and drop" usually refers to the fact that you use files and folders not tags. That you can drag and drop in the interface of an app like iTunes isn't what Drag and Drop usually refers to.

But it works 100% using both I-Tunes and Anapod Explorer.
I've just dragged and dropped 15 albums onto my Mini but I tagged all the albums with ID3-Tagit before I did it. I don't use any other tagging info apart from Artist and Album. I always turn the volume up to 100% too.
Has you rightly said, tagging is done incorrectly by a lot of IPOD owners and is one of the complicated issues to the new user. It took me 5 minutes to explain it to my two teenage daughters.

Now my Archos is true drag and drop and doesn't need tags

Soldato
Codmate said:
£120 for the SPVC550 - although you may be able to get the SPVC500 for less. The SPVC600 is also out now :)

Soon they will bring out higher capacity SD cards too :)

Considering that some people are carrying around 3 devices I reckon it's great value. I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of having my pockets full of PDA, MP£ player and phone any more. It's also cool to be able just to answer the phone in the middle of a song. There is a mic on the wire for the headphones so you can just push a button and start talking :D

the problem with spv's is that they sound utterly atrocious. That why i bought an iriver even though i had an spv c500 + 512mb mini-sd card. They have an outright lack of bass, and that was after i modded them with my sony earphones

PHONE.JPG

Last edited:
Sparky191 said:
AFAIK in the MP3 world "Drag and drop" usually refers to the fact that you use files and folders not tags. That you can drag and drop in the interface of an app like iTunes isn't what Drag and Drop usually refers to. What it means is USB Mass Storage (UMS) Drag and Drop compatible. Neither Sony or Apple units do this. Ones that do are iRiver Cowon, and with the latest firmware some of the creative units. Though the creative ones still navigate by tags only.

Why not tags? Lots of reasons. Because its a PIA for one. Another is that is doesn't work well for classical, opera, or multi artist, composer tracks. Another is that different apps handle tags differently. Sorting by Album Artist instead of Album and not handling compilations properly. For me iTunes has a habit of tagging very badly putting different CD's in a box set into different Genre's or even splitting albums up into different spellings of artist or album.

Personally I don't find having a few thousand artist and genre types useful to navigate. Most of the people I know with iPods don't tag their stuff properly and simply use it on shuffle or only play the albums they can actually find. I get around it myself by using my own genres tags and retagging my stuff. But its a PIA when you've a large library. Mines at 50GB and thats not even all my CD's. I'd say only about half of it is tagged correctly and I've been trying to clean it up for months.

As for iTunes organising the files on your HD. I don't see any point in doing by artist only. The end result is a folder with a few thousand directories. Which a bit dim whatever way you look at it.

Exactly, I could'nt of said it better my self, I really don't know why so many people are insulting other users b-cos they don't like the way itunes works, yes tagging is very easy to understand but for the reasons stated in the above qoute its just not practicle, If I let itunes compose my mp3 playlists by using the tags its just a complete mess, if I have a folder on my desktop composed of different artists I don't want it split into ten different folders/playlists on my ipod with only a couple of songs in each.

Associate
james.miller said:
the problem with spv's is that they sound utterly atrocious. That why i bought an iriver even though i had an spv c500 + 512mb mini-sd card. They have an outright lack of bass, and that was after i modded them with my sony earphones

My SPVC550 sounds great - although I prefer transparent sound anyway and never use extended bass options. Maybe you're one of those people that uses loudness switches and 'Ultra Super Bass' modes? ;)

I'm using Senheiser PX100 headphones and the quality is excellent considering I'm listening to MP3s. I'm certainly not noticing a lack of bass - if anything there is around 2dB too much emphasis at around 120Hz.

Associate
If you can plug in your MP3 player and drag files across to it using windows explorer without needing to use a propietary app or installing a driver this usually means a drag and drop support.

Can the iPod do this? No.

It also means that without tagging you see you files and folders as they were on the PC.

Can iPod do this? No.

Also any fool can tag rock and pop with iTunes with its primarily US based DB. That is not the same as tagging classical music or any of the other issues I mentioned. If you think it is, then no offense you simply don't understand the problem.

http://www.macworld.com/2005/05/secrets/julyplaylist/index.php
http://playlistmag.com/features/2005/03/tagclass/index.php
http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110004642

I agree with lowrider007. I dunno why the attitude. I'm just pointing out the difference between the thinking of tagging and file based players. Pros and Cons. Neither system is perfect.

Associate
Codmate said:
My SPVC550 sounds great - although I prefer transparent sound anyway and never use extended bass options. Maybe you're one of those people that uses loudness switches and 'Ultra Super Bass' modes? ;)

I'm using Senheiser PX100 headphones and the quality is excellent considering I'm listening to MP3s. I'm certainly not noticing a lack of bass - if anything there is around 2dB too much emphasis at around 120Hz.

Earphones make all the difference alright. PX100's do emphasis the bass a bit compared to other phones. I'm with you on the EQ though, less is more, but sometimes you need to nudge the sound a little just for fun. What also makes a different is how the Mp3's were encoded and bitrate and also what source material is used. Some CD's are mastered better than others and as a result encode much better. Something I've really started noticing since I got better headphones myself, and started ripping better.

Soldato
Codmate said:

or maybe im not:rolleyes: maybe im one of those people that likes the flattest responce from 80-20hz, which none of the spv's ive tried even come close to. TO say that shows you know absolutely nothing. I'm actually looking into running DRC to flatten out the responce even more on my stereo setup.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sparky191 said:
Also any fool can tag rock and pop with iTunes with its primarily US based DB. That is not the same as tagging classical music or any of the other issues I mentioned. If you think it is, then no offense you simply don't understand the problem. .

Is the Gracenote CD Database that itunes uses the same as the Freedb database?

Ok, I've jusr found it's not, so Sparky191, have you tried using the prgram that I have linked to above, or have you just tried the itunes database? TBH I have never used itunes to label my music, but have only had a handful of albums that I've not been able to find using the above prog, and even if you can't find them on the database it gives you the option of looking on amazon.

Might be worth a try for your classical stuff?

Last edited:
Associate
Am i the only one who noticed this guy was trying to use soundstage to upload to his Ipod? :D

I've had Zen's and i've had my 5G ipod for about 5 months, and it is by far the best thing out there that i've used, really intuitive, easy to sort, i love the fact that itunes automatically updates my subscribed podcasts and albums when i add them.

iTunes is a bit resource hungry, and you have to work to get it going exactly how you want it, but it's also by far the best method of synchronising that i've used.

Associate
james.miller said:
or maybe im not:rolleyes: maybe im one of those people that likes the flattest responce from 80-20hz, which none of the spv's ive tried even come close to. TO say that shows you know absolutely nothing. I'm actually looking into running DRC to flatten out the responce even more on my stereo setup.

Where did I say the SPV had flat response?
I just said that the sound on my C550 (which isn't even the same model that you have heard) is fine in the bass frequencies - although there was a little hump at 120Hz. This could be the headphones from what Sparky191 is saying.

Get out of bed on the wrong side mate?

To say I know nothing is a little strong isn't it?
And a little silly if you knew what I did for a living...

Last edited:
Associate
Brum Man said:
....Sparky191, have you tried using the prgram that I have linked to above, or have you just tried the itunes database? TBH I have never used itunes to label my music, but have only had a handful of albums that I've not been able to find using the above prog, and even if you can't find them on the database it gives you the option of looking on amazon.

Might be worth a try for your classical stuff?

I find have problems even with some of my older rock stuff aswell. Its not that these programs don't just find the tracks, though that is true aswell. They also tag them incorrectly. Or rather tag them in a way thats not useful. IMO.

Depending what I'm doing I use EAC, Audiograbber,Lame, WMP, iTunes and MediaMonkey. I also use SonicStage 3.4 with my HiMD. Currently I'm tending to favour MediaMonkey because it works with my Zen and my iPod and uses both tags and filetree and supports playlists on both. I only use the HiMD for recording and not as a player.

Soldato
Codmate said:
Where did I say the SPV had flat response?
I just said that the sound on my C550 (which isn't even the same model that you have heard) is fine in the bass frequencies - although there was a little hump at 120Hz. This could be the headphones from what Sparky191 is saying.

Get out of bed on the wrong side mate?

To say I know nothing is a little strong isn't it?
And a little silly if you knew what I did for a living...
it doesn't, that's the point. there virtually no responce at all below 50hz.

what you do for a living? i'm not really interested but i've listened to the 500, 550 and 600. i only said it was the c500 that i owned.

Last edited:
Associate
Qualifying your point because of what you do, is not all that useful. For people like me who are not audiophiles or sound engineers I'd like the point explained (in small words for dummies) so I can understand what you are talking about. That would be nice. Assume you are both right and explain your experiences, that would be cool.

I'd like an inexpensive single device to replace my PDA, MP3 players and phone but I don't believe it exists. I don't have the opportunity to test these devices like you guys have so any insight you have would be appreciated by me at least.

Soldato
well in my experiance of all spv phones in that range, the bass responce tails off progressivly at around 80hz. @ 30hz, there is virtually no responce at all. Now, my c500 was more than loud enough. even louder than my iriver, but in the end it was just missing a large part of the music which is why i eventually bought a proper mp3 player, and i didnt regret it for a second.

My iriver has its own problems, that's true enough. People will sometimes refer to it as having 'artificial' bass. It's also down on the responce but it doesnt drop off sharply untill you get below 30hz or so. It's not brilliant, but its a damn sight better than an spv:) imagine the problems with the ipods but worse. That's what we found with spv's. my 6630 was far better than my c500 in that respect, but the nokias are so limited on output power that they are almost useless your using some very high efficiancy ear phones. the sony erricson's are currenty the king of music phones:)

i hope that helps in some way:)

Associate
I've never quite understood the efficiency bit, or the impedance on phones having such an effect. Can any one explain that. I know most portable phones seem to be 32ohm. What ones would be considered high efficiency?

Soldato
Ive just gotta laugh at the original poster here.
The challenges of loading iTunes, dragging the music into it, and then just plugging in the iPod.
Lets not do anything hard here.
If you want help reading the above let me know and i'll spell it out phonetically :p ;)

Theres no reason it should mess up your system at all (what difference highlighting its SLI makes i dont know. ;)), and that was probably down to something you did, wether you realised it or not.

BoomAM said:
Ive just gotta laugh at the original poster here.
The challenges of loading iTunes, dragging the music into it, and then just plugging in the iPod.
Lets not do anything hard here.
If you want help reading the above let me know and i'll spell it out phonetically :p ;)

Theres no reason it should mess up your system at all (what difference highlighting its SLI makes i dont know. ;)), and that was probably down to something you did, wether you realised it or not.

I'm sorry but this post just makes me very mad :mad: , what exactly is it that you don't understand, I have a folder on my destop thats says "My MP3's" now in that folder I have about 80 sub folders that are all divided up into my own prefered styles of music, now if I just drag and drop all of those folders into itunes it will read the tags and divide up the mp3's into there proper albums, NOT how I had them on my hard drive, I want to be able to select all my mp3 folders regardless of what artists are in what folders, drag them into itunes and have them appear in exactly the same way in my mp3 player, now is this really that hard to understand, you don't have a TRUE drag and drop facility on itunes thats what the problem is. :mad:,

why don't you actually post something more productive in the future, some people find things harder to use than others it not the end of the world, the amount of energy some people waste complaining is riduculus, you could half that energy and just lend a hand, You only have to have a google to find there many people that do not like the way itunes works theres also just as many that like it, I find itunes is a bit like marmite you either love it or hate it.

anyways, I,ve been having a real good look around at at the different ipod utilities out there and the best one that I can find is xplay 2

http://www.mediafour.com/products/xplay/

I,ve tried the free trial and this basicly makes it so that you can pick a whole bunch of mp3 folders on your desktop drag them into your ipod and bingo they will appear on your ipod in exactly the same order, simple to use and true drag and drop.

Man of Honour
lowrider007 said:
I'm sorry but this post just makes me very mad :mad: , what exactly is it that you don't understand, I have a folder on my destop thats says "My MP3's" now in that folder I have about 80 sub folders that are all divided up into my own prefered styles of music, now if I just drag and drop all of those folders into itunes it will read the tags and divide up the mp3's into there proper albums, NOT how I had them on my hard drive, I want to be able to select all my mp3 folders regardless of what artists are in what folders, drag them into itunes and have them appear in exactly the same way in my mp3 player, now is this really that hard to understand, you don't have a TRUE drag and drop facility on itunes thats what the problem is. :mad:,

You do have a point and my Archos and old Treo and Creative do this.
Basically its WYSIWYG when you drag over.
Unfortunately with the IPOD you have to spend a bit of time thinking about it and how you want to tag them.
Tagging can be very useful because you can then search by Artist, Album, Genre and a host of others.
I can sympathise with your problem but you can download ID3-Tagit and very quickly go through each album and the IPOD will act as though it is in directories like your PC.
You also have the added benefit of setting the EQ and Volumes for each album with I-Tunes tagging facility.

Soldato
lowrider007 said:
and have them appear in exactly the same way in my mp3 player, now is this really that hard to understand, you don't have a TRUE drag and drop facility on itunes thats what the problem is. :mad:,
There is a true drag/drop though. You just dont appear to understand it though. I dont know of a single program that lists MP3s how you want it to.
Whats hard about dragging your music folder into iTunes, seeing it organised in iTunes like every other media program out there, WYSIWYG, and just plugging in an iPod to transfer the stuff.

why don't you actually post something more productive in the future, some people find things harder to use than others it not the end of the world,
Its hard to be constructive about a point when the OP has already made his mind up and is unwilling to learn such a simple program.

the amount of energy some people waste complaining is riduculus, you could half that energy and just lend a hand, You only have to have a google to find there many people that do not like the way itunes works theres also just as many that like it, I find itunes is a bit like marmite you either love it or hate it.
You'll get used to the complaining on here. Its a tech forum. Most people post complaints.

If you cant stomach the iTunes, go and use EphPod. :rolleyes:

Associate
BoomAM said:
There is a true drag/drop though. You just dont appear to understand it though. I dont know of a single program that lists MP3s how you want it to.

No it isn't. I've already explained why. YOU don't understand the difference. An interface that uses drag and drop is NOT the same as drag and drop in the context of an MP3 player.

Yes you do Windows Explorer. I've also mentioned another. MediaMonkey which does it both ways. Tags and filetree.

BoomAM said:
Whats hard about dragging your music folder into iTunes, seeing it organised in iTunes like every other media program out there, WYSIWYG, and just plugging in an iPod to transfer the stuff.

Some media players don't do it that way.

WYSIWYG yes if you mean tags. iTunes never shows you the underlying files and folders.

BoomAM said:
Its hard to be constructive about a point when the OP has already made his mind up and is unwilling to learn such a simple program.

You miss the point. Its not that its hard. He simply doesn't want to do it the iTunes way. Whats hard to understand about that?

BoomAM said:
You'll get used to the complaining on here. Its a tech forum. Most people post complaints. If you cant stomach the iTunes, go and use EphPod. :rolleyes:

Well I agree. He should. Theres better apps than iTunes.

Back
Top Bottom