New 144hz 4k monitor spotted, INSANE PRICES!!!

Soldato
Considering they are almost 3x the price of the 1440p 165Hz Gsync monitors, surely they are going to be less popular than those?

4K is itself a powerful incentive. It's a consumer standard, unlike 1440p. In time, I expect these monitors will end up in the same niche as high-refresh 1080p monitors. But I've just watched this video

which says that the monitors only come with HDMI 2.0, not 2.1. And that's a longevity issue, because HDMI 2.1 implements variable refresh and HDMI works better over longer cable lengths than DP.

Soldato
Also 27" 4k is a bit silly really. Just do not need 4k resolution at 27". 32-40" would have been miles better.

Caporegime
which says that the monitors only come with HDMI 2.0, not 2.1. And that's a longevity issue, because HDMI 2.1 implements variable refresh and HDMI works better over longer cable lengths than DP.

Yup, that's a bit of a deal-breaker right there. For the asking price I'd expect these to be bleeding-edge in every way!

(plus the fact that if you want to use HDR then the hz drop to 98!!)

Stu

Stu

Soldato
... the monitors only come with HDMI 2.0, not 2.1. And that's a longevity issue, because HDMI 2.1 implements variable refresh and HDMI works better over longer cable lengths than DP.

Why would you need HDMI 2.1 VRR if these monitors have GSync? I can't imagine that anyone would buy one, with the included GSync tax, if not running an Nvidia GFX card.
Also, how long a cable to most people use with a PC monitor? My PC has always been next to my desk, and you are not going to setup a 27" monitor across the room.

Soldato
Why would you need HDMI 2.1 VRR if these monitors have GSync? I can't imagine that anyone would buy one, with the included GSync tax, if not running an Nvidia GFX card.

Because HDMI 2.1 obviates both GSync and Freesync and I expect both manufacturers and Intel to support it.

Also, how long a cable to most people use with a PC monitor? My PC has always been next to my desk, and you are not going to setup a 27" monitor across the room.

No, but you might need 3m+ on a desk if you have multiple monitors. And 4k DP gets twitchy at 3m.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Makes them VRR compatible with both brands of gfx makers tech, quite a strong selling point imo.

Knowing nVidia though they'd probably block it.

I get that flexibility is good, but I would struggle to stomach the GSync tax on a monitor to then use an AMD GFX card... wait for a non-GSync model that will be £500 cheaper.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
@Quartz thanks for the info on DP cable length... I expect to get my first GSync monitor later this year, so good to know.

Do we really think Nvidia will support HDMI 2.1 VRR? When it actually starts showing up in monitors/TVs, I anticipate that Nvidia will release GSync 2, and claim to offer slightly more to justify GSync and a higher price. This is surely why they have come out with the Big Format Game displays, to get ahead of TVs with HDMI 2.1... thoughts?

Soldato
OP
I get that flexibility is good, but I would struggle to stomach the GSync tax on a monitor to then use an AMD GFX card... wait for a non-GSync model that will be £500 cheaper.

It would make you able to switch GPU brand as you saw fit. Sure the tax is there but it would be anyway if VRR is something you want and you own a GTX GPU at the time of purchase. But tbh I don't think Nvidia would ever agree to a monitor working with VRR on a competitor's products while also supporting Gsync. They would with 99% certainty block it, standard or not.

Associate
There is no switching GPU brands when one brand is twice as fast as the other. Unless you are funds limited.

I don't think NVIDIA plans to give up G-Sync and support HDMI 2.1 VRR. IMO that is the whole reason they are making a "big freaking gaming display". To say hey we don't need HDMI 2.1 VRR in the TV space, we have our own G-Sync TV!

So it is a catch 22 situation. You want HDMI 2.1 VRR, but the fast hardware to run it won't be available.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
It would make you able to switch GPU brand as you saw fit. Sure the tax is there but it would be anyway if VRR is something you want and you own a GTX GPU at the time of purchase.

But will there be a tax on VRR? A Freesync monitor is significantly cheaper than the equivalent model with GSync... I'm not sure that Freesync or VRR will significantly increase the price, especially compared to GSync.

Caporegime
Thing is how many people are going to actually buy those gsync "TVs" when they are likely going to cost £2000+ at the very least...... I can't see many people choosing that over an OLED TV which will cost far cheaper and be far superior in every other way except for the lack of sync (EDIT: and 4k @ 120+HZ but then again, we are still a long way of GPUs that can game at 100+ FPS @ 4k).....

Last edited:
Soldato
Thing is how many people are going to actually buy those gsync "TVs" when they are likely going to cost £2000+ at the very least...... I can't see many people choosing that over an OLED TV which will cost far cheaper and be far superior in every other way except for the lack of sync.....

Exactly there are going to be more and more OLED tv's on the market this year and at much better prices.. You can already get a 55" 4K OLED for £850.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Thing is how many people are going to actually buy those gsync "TVs" when they are likely going to cost £2000+ at the very least...... I can't see many people choosing that over an OLED TV which will cost far cheaper and be far superior in every other way except for the lack of sync (EDIT: and 4k @ 120+HZ but then again, we are still a long way of GPUs that can game at 100+ FPS @ 4k).....

Maybe the same number of people that would buy a 27" 144hz 4k monitor that costs £2000+

Associate
Hi guys, I have been following you for a while, but not I decided to register myself.

I have been waiting since last year to buy and HDR gsync monitor but now that I read all the information coming like FALD without HDR, the question is, is it worthy then?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom