• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New 1660 super vs used 1070ti for 3D animation

Associate
Hi all I'm building a budget pc for my step daughter and the 1660 super is closest to my price range for a gpu. The only other thing in this range that's better are used 1070 ti's . Now this pc is being built as she developes her 3d animation skills and I'm not sure what would be better. I know the 1070ti has higher fps in some games. But where does it stand in 3d animation.

Also I know it's mostly cpu heavy.

Soldato
The 1070ti will definitely be better not only because it is the higher specs but because it has more video memory. You need a lot of video memory to help with complex scenes. High fidelity animations can take a long time to render sometimes days so the 1070ti can actually end up cutting hours off the total render times if the workload is high enough. The Cpu will also be extremely important. Generally speaking, the more cores the cpu has the better it is at rendering.
What program and renderer is she going to be using? It's important it can take advantage of the Cpu and Gpu e.g 3ds max using Arnold or blender can do this.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The 1070ti will definitely be better not only because it is the higher specs but because it has more video memory. You need a lot of video memory to help with complex scenes. High fidelity animations can take a long time to render sometimes days so the 1070ti can actually end up cutting hours off the total render times if the workload is high enough. The Cpu will also be extremely important. Generally speaking, the more cores the cpu has the better it is at rendering.
What program and renderer is she going to be using? It's important it can take advantage of the Cpu and Gpu e.g 3ds max using Arnold or blender can do this.

I honestly don't know which programs she will be using as she has been self teaching herself everything and is learning really fast . The build is for christmas ik the new 3000 series of gpu's is coming out. I'm just trying to get her the best Performance i can in a 750 budget build that will last her 2/3 years while she refines her skills and see from there. Sadly apart from building a pc and gaming i don't know an awful lot. But i wish to support her how i can. CPU wise i have been looking at the ryzen 5 3600 non x as the difference doesn't seem a lot or a i5-9600k but then i also think i might pay more for the mobo this why. Got some checking to do.

Soldato
I honestly don't know which programs she will be using as she has been self teaching herself everything and is learning really fast . The build is for christmas ik the new 3000 series of gpu's is coming out. I'm just trying to get her the best Performance i can in a 750 budget build that will last her 2/3 years while she refines her skills and see from there. Sadly apart from building a pc and gaming i don't know an awful lot. But i wish to support her how i can. CPU wise i have been looking at the ryzen 5 3600 non x as the difference doesn't seem a lot or a i5-9600k but then i also think i might pay more for the mobo this why. Got some checking to do.
A Ryzen 3600 would be better then the Intel i5 by quite a long way for this and a fine choice. Price to performance this is about as good a cpu you'll get for the budget. Just make sure it has at least 16gb of ram and you'll be fine. The more memory the better.
Stick with Nvidia for the gpu as they are supported by more renderers e.g Arnold gpu renderer is one of the best ones, is free to use, but won't work with an AMD card. You'll save a lot of bother just going for an AMD cpu and Nvidia GPU.

Back
Top Bottom