• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New 3080 - No Display Output - HELP!

Associate
Hi All,

about at my wits end with this and hoping someone can help figure this out. Received my long awaited 3080 yesterday (got lucky to get one so soon) and swapped the cards over as I would normally do and have done many times before. With the 3080 installed the system boots (I can hear the pc connect to my Wi-Fi speaker which it normally does at the windows login stage) RGB turns on, card fans spin, but I can get no signal from the card to my monitor.

I have truly scoured every forum and tried everything I could find to fix the issue with no success. Strangely if I reinstall my old card (RX580) the whole system boots instantly with displays perfectly fine.

I'm running a fairly old board with an older CPU, as ill be moving to x570 and a Ryzen 5000 as soon as released (hopefully) so I'm wondering if a newer system will make it work but that doesn't feel right f, no reason this shouldn't work now?

Below is what I have tried -
Re installing old card - works fine
Re seating the card in the slot & cleaning the slot
Updating motherboard bios to newest version
Clearing all AMD display drivers
Clearing CMOS
Adjusting the monitor display settings
Different HDMI and Display Port cables
Sunning start-up in safe mode
Changing boot settings to safe mode

System -
Asus Prime B350 Plus
Ryzen 1600
32GB Vengeance RGB 3200 DDR4
Old card - RX580 Sapphire Pulse
New Card - MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080
Corsair RM750x power supply
NZXT X73 Cooler

At a complete loss at what to do, cant believe the card is dead but perhaps that's the only thing left. Does anyone have any idea at all what I could try?

Thanks

Soldato
Can you put the 3080 in the other pcie slot and the 580 in the normal slot at the same time and boot with the 580 as nornal to see if windows at least sees the card?

Associate
OP
Try hoovering out the PCIE slot, I had a relative whoes PC wouldn't boot due to dust build up.

Also if you got it via OCUK they might be able to check it for you and RMA if necessary.

Thanks, yes have tried this. I cleaned out the slot and tried in the second PCIE Slot. I have the option to return the card but remis to do so until I have tried everything my end.

Associate
Is your hdmi /dp cable seated correctly?

I had trouble on my 2080ti with hdmi and the rear of the case not allowing a proper connection. Swapped hdmi to DP and it worked straightaway.

Associate
Just 1 cable into the back of the monitor. The monitor only has HDMI connection so I have tried 2 cables each for Display port - HDMI and HDMI - HDMI.

The 3080 has 3 x Display Port and 1 HDMI outputs and i have tried all of them.

Thanks

Are you running two seperate power cables from psu to card?

Soldato
You probabaly have but just for completion and I don't mean to tell you to suck egggs but I see no mention of installing Nvidia drivers for the Nvidia card. Use DDU to strip out the drivers properly. Even without the BIOS should still post on boot up.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Make sure you have windows password.

And echo what loadsamoney says. Needs supply from 2 GPU power outlets from the PSU and no splitters from one port of the PSU.

Associate
OP
Can you put the 3080 in the other pcie slot and the 580 in the normal slot at the same time and boot with the 580 as normal to see if windows at least sees the card?

So I would love to try this, I have an issue however. The 3080 takes 3 8 Pin and the 580 takes 1 8 pin. My power supply has 2 cables each with 2 x 8 pin connections this means I would have to run 3 off 2 cables to 3080 and then 1 daisy chained from the 3080 to the 580. Is that safe?

Associate
OP
You probabaly have but just for completion and I don't mean to tell you to suck egggs but I see no mention of installing Nvidia drivers for the Nvidia card. Use DDU to strip out the drivers properly. Even without the BIOS should still post on boot up.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Make sure you have windows password.

And echo what loadsamoney says. Needs supply from 2 GPU power outlets from the PSU and no splitters from one port of the PSU.

Ok so I haven't been able to install Nvidia drivers as when the 3080 is installed it wont display. I haven't found a way of installing the Nvidia drivers without the card installed. I also did used that exact driver removal programme to fully remove the AMD drivers with no avail.

On the 3080 I am running 2 cables to the 3080 3 x 8 pin (2 of these 8 pins are running of the same cable. My PSU only has PCIE cables x 2 (each cable has 2 8 pins daisy chained)

Appreciate the help everyone, pulling my hair out here..

Associate
OP
Just remembered, the Trio needs 3x power cables, so should have 3x seperate ones plugged in.

I did check this before buying, the consensus I found online was that daisy chaining 1 of the cables and running 2 overall cables will suffice as the trio doesn't really need a 3rd connector. The card runs (spins and rgb on fine)

Associate
Installing drivers at this point is mute if it won't even POST, you don't need windows to verify that.

If your other graphics card works then I think this sounds like a case of DOA, I'd also go for a return/replacement, MSI rma isn't fun iirc.

You could try having 1 seperate cable for first 8pin, then 1 in daisy chain for last two (furthest two near end of card), not sure if the order will make a difference but worth a try.

Associate
OP
Installing drivers at this point is mute if it won't even POST, you don't need windows to verify that.

If your other graphics card works then I think this sounds like a case of DOA, I'd also go for a return/replacement, MSI rma isn't fun iirc.

You could try having 1 separate cable for first 8pin, then 1 in daisy chain for last two (furthest two near end of card), not sure if the order will make a difference but worth a try.

Yes starting to feel this is the most likely case, cant believe my luck waiting for my 3080 stoked when it arrives then the one I get is DOA.. Absolute Nightmare. Tempted to keep it for a bit and try it in the Ryzen 5000 + new motherboard once that is all here.. cant see why it would make a difference tbh though probably clutching at straws.

Caporegime
Yes starting to feel this is the most likely case, cant believe my luck waiting for my 3080 stoked when it arrives then the one I get is DOA.. Absolute Nightmare. Tempted to keep it for a bit and try it in the Ryzen 5000 + new motherboard once that is all here.. cant see why it would make a difference tbh though probably clutching at straws.

Could always return it for a refund instead, and get a 6800 XT, if you're going for a 5000 CPU/board, as the 6800s (which are released in a couple of weeks) will work better in that, and you'll also have more vram, 16GB as opposed to the 10GB on the 3080, which many are saying isn't enough.

Associate
OP
Could always return it for a refund instead, and get a 6800 XT, if you're going for a 5000 CPU/board, as the 6800s (which are released in a couple of weeks) will work better in that, and you'll also have more vram, 16GB as opposed to the 10GB on the 3080, which many are saying isn't enough.

That has certainly crossed my mind yes, would wait for 3rd party reviews but they look like strong cards. Questions around their Ray-Tracing perf tho.. will wait and see 3rd party reviews.

Looks like the consensus is dead card, thanks the help though all, very much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom