New ADSL2+ broadband router help

Associate
Hi all,

Just upgraded my broadband here at home (with Zen) to the ADSL2+ service, router (Netgear DG834N) started syncing happily around 10mb, but now has dropped to 7.5mb.

Router has also started being a little unstable recently, but in an odd way, router stays connected, and I can browse to the routers settings happily enough, but it seems to loose all DNS ability (even though it is still connected and sending and receive packets).

So, thinking of changing my router to something newer, question is what model though? I honestly don't mind the price if that means getting me something reliable, that can hold a decent connection speed, just no real idea what is good and what is not....

I'd like to stay sync'd at around 10mb if possible, I don't live that far away from the exchange (about 2km max) so just wondering if it is my old router playing up?

Do I need to manually play around with SNR bits and pieces etc?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice chaps, updated with DGT, didn't make any difference as standard (apart from taking longer to connect) but when I lowered the SNR to 25% it connected at just over 9mb - can anyone offer advice on SNR etc and what settings I should concentrate on playing with on the DGT firmware? Can I go lower on the SNR, or is it not recommended?

Many thanks again.

EDIT: these are my current stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 9044 kbps 1043 kbps
Line Attenuation 42.5 db 22.7 db
Noise Margin 5.2 db 4.8 db

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom