1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

New AGP graphics card needed

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Ady2009, 1 Jun 2010.

1. Ady2009

Associate

Hi

I desperatly need to order a new graphics card for my PC with a AGP interface. Which card is better a 4650 or a 3850 ?. Or is there anything any better out there these days ?

I also need a new PSU to run them and was looking at this one,

OCZ StealthXStream 500w Silent Power Supply [OCZ500SXS-UK]

Does that look like it would be any good for the job ?

I've read a lot about psu's killing computer components and a quite worried about this.

Thanks

2. Redmint

Mobster

The 3850 would be a bit faster and that PSU is fine, OCZ make decent non-exploding PSUs.

3. Ady2009

Associate

Just been on to saphires website and it has this recommendation to a psu

450Watt or greater power supply with 30Amps on 12 volt with 2x4 power connector recommanded

By the looks of the specs of the power supply it looks like it has 4 lots of 18A. Is that ok, or should it be 1 lot of 30A ?

4. Redmint

Mobster

Most PSUs these days use multiple 12V rails instead of 1 combined (apart from maybe corsair and a couple of others). 4x 18A rails will be fine.

5. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

Your psu is fine. The rig in my siggy only pulls a max of 274w at the wall and even then if i run prime and Fur stability test both at the same time.

6. Strepsils

Gangster

Your psu is fine however if you could you should spend the money on one of the Corsair lines as they will be able to last you quite a bit incase you upgrade your computer

7. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

In which case he can upgrade his psu if and when needed when he does the full upgrade.

If anyone needs a new psu it's you. Your siggy says that you have a Qtech. These are extremely poor quality psu's that go bang with even a light load applied. Follow your own advice and get a decent one before you lose the components in your rig.

***Edit*** I see you have edited your siggy to show you have a trust psu now. They are not much better either. I really can't understand why people buy cheap crappy psu's when the psu is the single most important component in a pc.

Last edited: 2 Jun 2010
  8. ricky

Gangster

9. sastusbulbas

Wise Guy

I have an HIS IceQ Pro 3850 AGP card (the OC'd 8pin connector model) being run off a Corsair 450w modular PSU without problems.

10. Cookeh

Sgarrista

I'll be selling my Sapphire HD3850 512mb AGP 8x soon, if you wanna wait for that :p

Runs FO3 on Ultra (thats the latest game I have as PC cant cope with newer ones :p)

11. infernox

Mobster

I Have one also 512MB version probs up for sale brandnew never been used as my Psu couldnt cope with it in my last system