• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New AMD APU's

Soldato
OP
The 5000 series?

I just want something to replace my i5-3470 with, I was looking at the 3400g to start with but the 4000 series has the extra 2 cores...

Soldato
OP
Yes still, I have an x570 ITX board, 32Gb RAM, drives and everything bar an APU, I was looking at the 3400g but given new ones are out soonish I decided to wait.
Its in a home server that's currently on an i5, but I like to keep my main PC and server on similar kit, my old rig was an i7, now its a 1600AF (waiting for 4xxx series).
Graphics grunt matters not, its the 6 cores I'm waiting for, all it has to do it some output as there wont be room for a GPU in the build (Node 304 iTX) with storage controller etc..

Soldato
Yeah seen then at ~£220 for the R5-4600G..
Be nice if they were from a reputable UK source

You can get a nice bundle of A520 motherboard with a Ryzen 5 4650G Pro for ~€280, so ~£250 delivered, my 4650G Pro was shipped yesterday from elsewhere, will be nice to finally get my hands on it.

Soldato
Hmm, what A520 board is it, el-cheapo I'm guessing for ~£250, could be tempted by a bundle if the resale on the board is good enough..

ASUS PRIME A520M-K is the board, its about £65.

Oh yeah it's terrible compared to a good B550 board, but that isn't the point in the platform, it is designed for a standard desktop solution not some overclocking monster or a gaming rig.

I think if you could get £50 for the board, then the CPU at £200 if you don't need dedicated graphics is great, especially if you pair it with some very, very fast cheap RAM and OC the nuts off the built in GPU to 2.3GHz. 2200MHz IF with 1:1 on the RAM, will be a massive uplift in the performance of the games.

Soldato
OP
I've just got 32Gb (2x16Gb), its for my server so doesn't need to be uber-fast as there's only 4 VM's on there, its just the base uplift from a 3rd gen i5 with 4 cores to a Ryzen 5 with 6 cores.
The main reason for the server rebuild was just to go from Node 804 to Node 304 case, but given my main rig is AMD as well now I figured might as well change the server..

Just out of interest what did you pay for the 4650G?

Back
Top Bottom