New Apple Hardware - Today?

Associate
Just did a good old Dell vs. Apple comparison and when you factor in the LED display the MacBook is actually pretty well priced. Education discount makes that thing insanely good! I quite like the look of it too but surprised they got it to run cool enough without the base being raised at all.

Magic Mouse looks awesome! Can't tell if the part of the base that comes into contact with the surface is plastic or padded...

I actually really dislike the new remote

Associate
I wonder which remote I will be receiving with my MBP, I ordered it with a remote at the weekend but it only shipped earlier today, the older remote is plastic isn't it?

Associate
Keep it, you have the faster/more upgradeable computer with two awesome screens.

16:9 screens on the iMac... WTF?!

Yeah, I know... thats the only draw back although I have been looking at bigger single screens (upwards of 27") to replace my two NEC's as I do a lot of web work and the real estate of one screen would be better than two (just the way I work).

But I'm thinking for what I would now get for my setup I'd still have to factor in some money for a top end iMac & it is an inferior setup I guess. Im so confused :) lol

Commissario
Are they likely to stock the remote and mouse in store before I would get it from the website.

I just spoke to the Lakeside store and they said they're going to have them in "by Friday", he said that means they could have them any day between now and Friday. It's worth buzzing your local store.

Associate
Woooooo, I was thinking of getting an imac for my office when I get started with my phd, thankfully the wait i've had to have to get started means I can order one of the new ones... Get in there :D

Associate
After a brief look at the new macbook specs against the same size (13.3") macbook pro why would anyone choose the pro over the 'non' pro?

It looks like they have the same graphics (9400), can both have up to 4GB RAM, same speed processor (I think).

I was looking at getting a pro soonish, but can anyone explain why I would spend the extra now?

Cheers,

Edward

Associate
Am I right in thinking that the ~£150 upgrade for the 27" imac for i7 to 2.8ghz also nets you 8 processing threads ?

Correct... 8 Virtual cores due to hyperthreading....

I was looking at getting a pro soonish, but can anyone explain why I would spend the extra now?

I'm not 100% certain if the panels (displays) are the same in the standard Macbooks. The viewing angles of the last ones were not a patch on the Pro's & for that reason I chose the Pro as it was pretty apparent (the difference).
I'd hazzard a guess that this will again be the situation but I could be wrong. Its deffo a more expensive display they put the the Pro's but if this is again the case & you don't mind a slightly inferior display, go for the standard Macbook I say as performance won't be much different.

Last edited:
Soldato
Correct... 8 Virtual cores due to hyperthreading....

I'm not 100% certain if the panels (Displays) are the same in the standard Macbooks. The viewing angles of the last ones were not a patch on the Pro's & for that reason i chose the Pro as it was a pretty apparent difference.

The biggest difference is the aluminimum unibody enclosure of the Pro vs the polycarbonate of the Macbook. The screens on all the 13" models have been pretty rubbish so far, so I doubt it's anything revolutionary.

Associate
The screens on all the 13" models have been pretty rubbish so far, so I doubt it's anything revolutionary.
On the last generation Macbooks (unibody) I agree the 13" displays were rubbish (well just nothing special) & I fear this could still be the case with the new low end white Macbook.

However the display on the new(ish) 13" Macbook Pro is a vast improvement and much more akin to those on the 15" & 17" models. Bottom line, if you get the Pro you are virtually guaranteed a great display. Standard Macbook I might hang on until Stores get stock & take a look at the display first as the previous gen Macbooks have had fairly terrible screens in my (and others) opinion.

Back
Top Bottom