New Bike - Internet or Walk In

Soldato
OP
They suggested the GT Avalanche 1.0 - but i dont fancy paying that, they also said a Trek - cant remember which + the Spesh HR Spor

Soldato
Having a look at cycles myself at the moment, and around the same ballpark.

I really liked the SPECIALIZED HARDROCK PRO '06 for £500, but you lot seem not to like it.

£500 would be my budget, and i seems to be a lot of bike for the money.

It wouldn't be used for too much, pretty novice stuff really, and i'd hate the idea of having to buy V-brakes, dunno, discs just look so much better!

So is the Hardrock out of the question?

I was looking at a MB last summer, and really wanted the Mongoose Teocali Comp 05, now that was a sweet bike.

It was down to £650 as 06 was out, but now i cannot find it anywhere, and 06 is ugly. :(

Shame, i should have jsut got it when i had the chance.

PS: Want to see these merlins, but there site doesn't work, none of the links in this thread are live :(

Suppose i'll wait until tomorrow, hopefully they'll have it up.

Soldato
bcjames said:
Merlin's site does seem to be fubar right now.

The Merlin is sweet for £400. For a little more, I'd look at the rockhoppers over the hardrocks. Much nicer frame, imo.

What about this for £550 with the brakes offer?

http://www.buyabikedirect.co.uk/products.php?action=prodinfo&pid=1340

Or do Merlin do something nice for £550 (that would be total max though)

Couple of gripes though, its orange, and its a Trek.

Back when i was a nipper (about 10 years ago) Trek & Giant made the basic rubbish like Emmelle, i take it that isn't the case anymore, but its hard to over come.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
I looked at an 8900 a while back, and its a real nice bike. Trek are making some awesome bikes.

That Trek with the Hopes looks pretty good. Its a nice groupset and brakes for the money.

With Merlins, they are pretty much custom bikes. They are listed on the site, but I think they are willing to swap and change things a little to suit.

If there sites working, ill have a look now what their next bike up is.

Associate
i would say the trek with the hope upgrade is the best bike for that price range. its a lovely bike and hope brakes are meant to be good

Soldato
The MERLIN MALT 1-06 , looks fantastic for £540.

But the Trek 6500 with the Hope Mini's which are £200 by themselves maybe too much of a bargain.

I also think the Claud Bulter isn't too bad for £450, the thing that's attracting my to this that i know i can go see one in the flesh, and maybe also take it with me that day.

3 bikes, all look the dogs B's.

Soldato
Breamy said:
trek is the best bike i would say still for £550 with hope brakeslovely bike as well and a good frame

So the rest of the Trek bike (without the brakes) is still top notch anyway?

Just spoke to them on the phone and it wont be delivered until next week if i ordered today, so am gonna sleep on it i think.

I think there all great bikes, but that brake disc deal seems too good to turn down, although the guy on the phone didn't seem to know what i was on about, he thought i meant the £700 blue version, but in the end i got there.

one thing though, without the brakes, is the Trek still the best bike or not?

Soldato
OP
dokko said:
Also this looks canny for £500.

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=5966

And this for £375!

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/itemviewer.asp?ID=1202&type=bikes

I here this /\/\ gets top marks in MBR as well @ £500, might be a good selection for the lad who started this thread as his budget jumped down, what you think?

The reason for the £ drop is because i brought a PSP and didnt realise how much i had in the bank anyway + im keeping £100 or so, so i dropped the price. Im thinking about that Giant :o Great deal imo - anyone brought from that website before?

Soldato
Syk3 said:
The reason for the £ drop is because i brought a PSP and didnt realise how much i had in the bank anyway + im keeping £100 or so, so i dropped the price. Im thinking about that Giant :o Great deal imo - anyone brought from that website before?

Also there 05 version of the Claud Butler can be had for £325!

Which i think is another bargain.

It was highly rated when it was £500, but so waas the Giant, two great bikes at mint prices for you there.

Soldato
OP
Btw mate - before i brought the PSP, i was going to get that Trek you were looking at with the £50 upgrade. My friend has it, its amazing. Perhaps you should have a looksy at the Rockhoppers? You got MSN? Easier to talk hehe - plus you can show me some good deals :)

Back
Top Bottom