New Bike - Internet or Walk In

Soldato
Syk3 said:
Btw mate - before i brought the PSP, i was going to get that Trek you were looking at with the £50 upgrade. My friend has it, its amazing. Perhaps you should have a looksy at the Rockhoppers? You got MSN? Easier to talk hehe - plus you can show me some good deals :)

MSN is the devils playground, i dont have it :D

I love the specialized bikes, but £500 is my limit, i'm going over £65 (inc del) because its just too good a deal.

There's nothing in the rockhopper range that i like until about the £650 mark at the very least.

I refuse to buy V brakes, so it rules out the cheaper versions.

Glad to here the Trek gets the thumbs up off you and your mate, i'm getting confident in that am making the right decision.

Why dont you go for the finance then? For the sake of a months payement of a £100, your getting a much better bike in the Trek?

TBH, i only started looking at bikes last night after reading this thread, and all the links i've provided here, are all i know, but theres some good choices for you i think.

I'm never this impulsive, in fact this money i've saved was for comupter parts, TFT mainly, but i need to get out of the house, and do something, so a bike it is.

But how spooky is this. Woke up this morning to find a Edinbrough Cycle magazine through my front door, not adressed even to me, but delievered to the wrong house, that's spooky.

Associate
dokko said:
I'm going with the Trek.

Ordering it today.

I blame you lot if i dont like it.

PS: Am 6ft 2+, will the 21.5" frame be the one for me? (that's the biggest they've got)

well im 6 ft 3 but with really long legs and a ride a 19.5 trek 6500 but i have the seat up a large amount. i also like smaller frames it all depends what you like as the 21.5 has more length so is a greater reach

also the rest of the trek is good stuff deore/xt running gear and forks with lock out cant go wrong

Soldato
Breamy said:
well im 6 ft 3 but with really long legs and a ride a 19.5 trek 6500 but i have the seat up a large amount. i also like smaller frames it all depends what you like as the 21.5 has more length so is a greater reach

also the rest of the trek is good stuff deore/xt running gear and forks with lock out cant go wrong

Well i hope so.

Had a problem with the money for payment, ie transfering from current to barclaycard (just for insurance purposes) so can't actually order it until after 12 midnight tonight, or tommorrow morning.

But apart from that the jobs a goodun, just hope the offer deosn't end over night, would be sick as a mouldy old chip if that happened.

So no widescreen TFT, or new fans or keyboard, gonna have to wait i'm afraid, but hopefuly i'm gonna get a lot more enjoying out of my new bike when it arrives.

Going to Byker (ironically enough) which is where the good bike shops are in my area to get myself a helmet. Was going to get one from Buy a bike, but thought it would be better to go try em on first.

Soldato
Well i rang Buy a bike up just to make sure that its not going to change and guess what?

It was listed at the wrong price, if you check now, its now £100 for the upgrade.

But the guy was canny enough and said i can have it for the price i seen it for, and has reserved it for me.

He's taken my details and all i have to do is ring back tomorrow, and he'll honour the price.

God i hope he does, i hope he's going to stick to his word, sounds like he will, will let you know if he does tomorrow.

Soldato
bcjames said:
Thats awesome, its good of the shop to honour it! £100 is still pretty good for that upgrade.

It is, but it would put it beyond my price range.

I'm streching £50 over my budget as it is, no way could i afford another £50.

I've only £200 saved up, borrowed the rest, so i couldn't possibly go any further.

But fingers crossed, the guy seemed to be genuine, and really, if it wasn't for me, many orders could have gone through costing them a lot more.

Soldato
Breamy said:
the orange is breathtaking saw one in my local bike shop today lovely bike

Does it look better that it does in pics, coz i think its not that nice.

PS: just done another check, the hope mini discs are now £150 extra, so £100 more than what i should be getting it for.

So its now £650 for the deal, instead of £550, i certainly couldn't afford that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Breamy said:
it is an amazing colour in my opinion much better than the pics

Good.

I'm only getting it because of the brakes TBH. If it wasn't for that deal, i'd be choosing something else.

The colour i was iffy with, but i can imaging that it is one of those you have to see.

If i get bumped tomorrow, and i'm put back to square one i think i'll go with the Claud Bulter Cape Rath 06, as for the last 3 years running MBR have given the model 10/10, and its won the best out of 12 each time.

If not that, £550 at Merlins.

But lets hope there are decent people in this world and let my faith in humanity be restored with this guy sorting me out.

Soldato
Breamy said:
if he doesnt say u will report him to trading standards he soon will sell you it at that price

Yeah but its my words against his, bar a couple of thread links etc...

I'm hoping he'll be ok, thing is, if he does, everyone reading this thread will find out, and if he doesn't, not only will this place find out, but many other forums i go to, and i'll spend a whole day reg: to bike forums letting people know how i got ripped.

But i hope it wont get that far, i really think it wont, im just being paraniod about being ripped off.

He seemed genuine enough, and even am not that unlucky to be ripped like this.

(But TBH, i really like the Merlin Malt 1, it looks ace, much more my style than this bike, but a deals a deal, and i'll take it if i can)

Permabanned
dokko said:
Well i rang Buy a bike up just to make sure that its not going to change and guess what?

It was listed at the wrong price, if you check now, its now £100 for the upgrade.

But the guy was canny enough and said i can have it for the price i seen it for, and has reserved it for me.

He's taken my details and all i have to do is ring back tomorrow, and he'll honour the price.

God i hope he does, i hope he's going to stick to his word, sounds like he will, will let you know if he does tomorrow.

OMG I was looking at that bike for a few weeks, even saw one in the shop on Wednesday, the price was £550 for well over a month, check my posts in the bike picture thread. I might go down and say can I have it for £550. ;) Mention somthing about a fourm and a lad from Newcastle :p

Its a nice bike in the flesh and Buyabike are sound, bought all my bikes from there in my lifetime (i only live 6 miles away from the shop), going picking my Giant XTC LX tomorrow. For £450 :D

cheets64 said:
This one > 6500 06

Also what would be a "hope mini upgrade only £50.00" < disc breaks?

Breamy said:
yes thats the one and hope minis are sum good disk brakes well worth £50 extra

Big Chris said:
Minis for £50 extra? That's a 75% discount off the lowest price you'll find mate, go for it without a doubt.

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
cheets64 said:
OMG I was looking at that bike for a few weeks, even saw one in the shop on Wednesday, the price was £550 for well over a month, check my posts in the bike picture thread. I might go down and say can I have it for £550. ;) Mention somthing about a fourm and a lad from Newcastle :p

Its a nice bike in the flesh and Buyabike are sound, bought all my bikes from there in my lifetime (i only live 6 miles away from the shop), going picking my Giant XTC LX tomorrow. For £450 :D

:)

LOL!

I've got the final 21.5" frame reserved with the Hope's on, as long as i get that tomorrow, you go for it!

So do you reckon they'll honour it for me then?

I've got faith, but i'm unlucky, bad things always happen to me.

Last edited:
Soldato
cheets64 said:
Yeah im 100% sure they will, The knocked £50 straight away off my Giant XTC as I'm a good customer. :D

I dont want the Trek anymore.

Aye that's a canny price for the Giant.

The guy sounded canny, and even without a deposit (as he wanted one, but i cannot release cash until midnight, if i could i would have had it bought by now) he still was up for it.

So good word of mouth, as much as i can if he does, you can even let him know if you like :)

Soldato
OP
Hey - just thought id say im going into the shop to look and probably buy the Specialized + Bottle Cage/Bottle + Wireless Computer + Saddle Bag :)

Thanks for all the help ;)

Back
Top Bottom