New BMW M4 & M3 reveal

Caporegime
I think it looks pretty decent, the front grilles are a bit jarring at first sight tbh but having looked at it more and more, I’m coming around to liking it more and more.

I can think of other far more butt ugly cars than the new m3/4.

Man of Honour
It does of the 4 series is anything to go by. Saw an M440i and it didn't look anything like as bad. Don't get me wrong, it still looks stupid, but not as stupid.

Soldato
maybe if they explained the design trade-off people would accept the grille, if, the aerodynamics and cooling are improved, wltp reduced, crash certification respected ?
I'd categorise model 3 front/grille, similarly as an acquired/marmite taste.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/293482977_Aesthetic-Aerodynamic_Design_Optimization_of_a_Car_Grille_Profile_While_Preserving_Brand_Identity
have a look at the grill size benefits that shows ,

Do we know what internal ducting bmw may have too, Cd+area, are most of their engines still longitudanal.

Caporegime
Just what on earth is going on :(
If it hasn't grown on you yet, what chance do the rest of us have. :p

I don't dislike it as much as I did when I first saw it I must admit. But I'm far from liking it.

It doesn't look -bad- in the dark green colour I guess. Mainly because the rest of the styling I love, as well as the colour.

Soldato
More from Chris Harris' twitter

Eirp8HwWsAYt8cV

https://twitter.com/harrismonkey/status/1309119457827192832?s=20

Soldato
Annoyingly, it would look fantastic if they just got rid of the big grille, in my opinion.
I don't have the photoshop skills to do a mockup, but imagine the solid bumper extends right across (where the numberplate is), with the entire bottom portion remaining open as a lower grille, then just have the two classic BMW kidney grills above between the headlights, and I think it would look fine.

EXACTLY!
Much better!

Caporegime
There is no getting around physics. The more (and bigger) vents you have the more drag you get...

I'm not sure German engineers do imagine though :D

The important bit is where the air goes after in enters the engine bay.
A bumper with massive vents travelling through the air is more aerodynamic than a bumper with no vents...

You can also see the side slats that create a air curtain around the wheels and an effective side skirt. The floor will be flat and the arch lines all have exit vents behind the various oil coolers that are being fed from the front.

The E92 10yrs ago had extensive wind tunnel development and this will be no different. I don't really understand these off the cuff comments you seem to constantly make like you know more than anyone else. Are you sure you aren't Donald Trump?

Soldato
The important bit is where the air goes after in enters the engine bay. You can also see the side slats that create a air curtain around the wheels and an effective side skirt. The floor will be flat and the arch lines all have exit vents behind the various oil coolers that are being fed from the front

The E92 10yrs ago had extensive wind tunnel development and this will be no different. I don't really understand this off the cuff comments you seem to constantly make.

If it's going through a radiator, or used for aerodynamic grip then it's creating drag...

Back
Top Bottom