New BMW M4 & M3 reveal

Soldato
Never experienced that on any of mine.

Just google it...

Not just on BMWs but on Fords etc which have it. On those at least you can't even buy individual parts, you have to replace the whole thing. Any moving part at the front of the car is obviously going to clog up with dirt eventually. Just got to hope it doesn't fail closed and overheat.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I bought my first car with this function in 2011. Since then we have had 4 with it and my parents a further 3. Not a single fault with the active grille stuff at all.

Caporegime
Looking at the M4 competition, obviously it's 4WD, but the weight is surprising at 1725kg. I assume thats the carbon roof, as they also have a glass panoramic roof option this time.

I think the previous F82 M4 was around 1580kg. E92 was 1650kg ish

These cars are almost has heavy as the older M5s now.

Soldato
I bought my first car with this function in 2011. Since then we have had 4 with it and my parents a further 3. Not a single fault with the active grille stuff at all.

Serious question, how much miles do you do yearly?

I ask this as there is always a misconception about how cars have been on the reliability side of things with things such as parts failing. Someone may have owned a car for 4 years and only done 7000 miles in those years and another with the same model may have done 50k miles in the same period of time.

At discrepancy of where they are driven you will expect the one with high mileage to have had more problems. Saying that, it usually is the case.

Soldato
maybe, only part of the surface of the grill is used for cooling, the rest is diverted, always, in an aerodynamic fashion,;
for the active part of the grill, if that was diverted aerodynamically when not needed for the engine that would be a double win,
although at high speed, where drag is highest, you probably need the engine cooling.

Soldato
Joe's video on these is quite good. I'm not sure, I said I didn't like the new 135 when it came out but I like it now i've seen it. Joe was saying the same about the M3/4 in the flesh so I will reserve judgment till I see one, love that green though.
Bit of a mute argument though, i'm never going to buy one, might end up with a new 1 series though.

Soldato
I don't think I've seen a more ugly BMW?

The base spec X1 looks better than that thing

I can only assume the designer had some inspirtation, it didn't come off, and they ran out of time

That said, the first thing I thought of when I watched that video was that it seems to find itself in the wrong era

Sales will do the talking

Soldato
It will sell just like the previous generations did and they were far from pretty.

Most people will put up with an ugly car if the performance is good. I wouldn't though, I like to be able to look out of the window and see something nice looking, not a pig face :p

Soldato
I think they’ll sell a lot, there will be attractive PCP deals to lure in orders.

It'll be sold out initially even without offers. The F80 is so old now and it clearly shows inside.

They might use a decent interest rate if they predict a high GFV though. 2.9% maybe or even 0% due to Covid.

Back
Top Bottom