New BMW M4 & M3 reveal

Soldato
I don't understand how they've managed to get things so wrong in the design. Staggered wheel sizes can look just fine, but that front arch gap relative to the rear on the m3 makes it look as though it's on lifters for uneven ground. The grille is nearing as bad as it gets and the rear end, with it's protruding bumper is just strange. The weight is also getting silly. The m4 rear quarter just doesn't look right either from most angles. Even the press release colour choice is just odd.

Soldato
Smaller front wheels does seem odd on a this kind of car. It will increase understeer too. It can also make finding a full set of matching UHP tyres a pain (I know it did on my Elise) :/

Last edited:
Soldato
Smaller on front is often to keep the turning circle sensible and reduce unsprung mass, EPAS and electronic aids are no good if the basics aren’t there. The rears are massive to deal with the power! It’s a road car after all anyway, you want the front to wash out.

Then rears have either cladding, spats or even new bodysides to meet the legal coverage for tyres which is good to prevent the base cars looking too under wheeled.

Soldato
I don't understand how they've managed to get things so wrong in the design. Staggered wheel sizes can look just fine, but that front arch gap relative to the rear on the m3 makes it look as though it's on lifters for uneven ground. The grille is nearing as bad as it gets and the rear end, with it's protruding bumper is just strange. The weight is also getting silly. The m4 rear quarter just doesn't look right either from most angles. Even the press release colour choice is just odd.

The only explanation is that it wasn't the final design I imagine the board of directors had a set timeframe and they went with what they had.

No designer is going to want to put their name to that.

Unfortunately, the times we are in means the M3/M4 are heading to their coffins, and this may very well be the first nail in it.

Soldato
I think the board of directors had a few doobies while deciding on the final design. Probably looked great while floating in the clouds.

Soldato
The only explanation is that it wasn't the final design I imagine the board of directors had a set timeframe and they went with what they had.

No designer is going to want to put their name to that.

Unfortunately, the times we are in means the M3/M4 are heading to their coffins, and this may very well be the first nail in it.

I'm wanting to hear what the petrol head over the road from me thinks of these. Perhaps he will sell his m3 csl for one :D

Soldato
I like the M4. Some of BMW's designs grow on you over time. They know how to make cars handle too, in response to the wheel sizes.
One thing that really stood out is the quality of the interior, even if some of the the colours are not to my taste.

Soldato
I like the M4. Some of BMW's designs grow on you over time. They know how to make cars handle too, in response to the wheel sizes.
One thing that really stood out is the quality of the interior, even if some of the the colours are not to my taste.

Indeed as former e92 M3 and F82 M4 owner I thought I'd hate this but...its grown on me a lot...dare I say I almost like it (in comp form)...strongly thinking of picking an AWD version next year when they come out.

Soldato
Smaller front wheels does seem odd on a this kind of car. It will increase understeer too. It can also make finding a full set of matching UHP tyres a pain (I know it did on my Elise) :/

The S2 Elise isn't a good example of staggered setup as it has a very unusually sized front tyre. The S1 has far fewer issues as that can take a 185/195 width front.

Biggest problem with most UHP tyres is that ideally you need a LTS labelled tyre which indicates that the sidewalls are softer than normal to allow for the low weight of the car.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
They killed it with the G20, but with this new design they took a few too many steps back... Ugly AF. :o

giphy-downsized.gif

Soldato
The S2 Elise isn't a good example of staggered setup as it has a very unusually sized front tyre. The S1 has far fewer issues as that can take a 185/195 width front.

Biggest problem with most UHP tyres is that ideally you need a LTS labelled tyre which indicates that the sidewalls are softer than normal to allow for the low weight of the car.

The "LTS" tyres got EUed, along with a bunch of other very soft road legal tyres. For "emissions" reasons. Another example of a blanket regulation which doesn't factor everything in :/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom