1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Breed of speed cameras?

Discussion in 'Motors Archive' started by AmDaMan, 27 Apr 2003.

1. AmDaMan

Mobster

Hi my instructor was telling me about a new kind of speed camera that works in pairs. How many of you slow down when you see a speed camera or when your detector goes off and the speed up again? Apoperntly these new cameras record the time it takes to get to the 2nd camera and if you exceed the time it should take you get flashed:eek: Now im not sure if this is old news or already been discussed but it worried me!!

Last edited: 27 Apr 2003
  2. DreXeL

Man of Honour

Yeah I've heard of these. They work out your average speed between points, so slowing down when you spot it won't work :(

3. Lowe

Soldato

They're known as SPECs cameras. Been out quite a while now in certain parts of the country :)

4. S@njay

Mobster

how does the camera identify your car between the two points? Does it compare your registration plate? If so, then everyone would get flashed, and no-one will know if there in truoble :(

5. Lowe

Soldato

It reads the number plate of every car and compares them. They can even compare it to a DVLA database to see if your car's taxed, though they can't do this in the UK at the moment legally..

6. Mad Pierre

Hitman

Damm driving a car in england sucks these days.

7. Maz

Soldato

Don't speed TBH

;)

8. Slime101

PermaBanned

Indeed SPECS camera systems are horrible, but theyre also rare and expensive :D

They dont flash BTW - so youll not know you've been caught til the envelope drops on the door mat :eek:

9. Adam

Sgarrista

do they look like normal cameras? Surely if you could identify it then you could slow down until you see the 2nd one

10. AmDaMan

Mobster

Wow thats harsh.:(

11. ducati996

Hitman

12. Vipernet

Mobster

We've got a couple up on the M9 motorway in Scotland. They point either way and are purple in colour. I've been in a car with a m8, who got caught. The police caught up with us and pulled us over and showed us the pics from the camera. The average speed was worked out at 99.6mph so he JUST escaped without a ban.

Nasty things but the only way to get round then is not to speed and save the pent up frustration for a track day (or a country road :)

13. clv101

Capodecina

Just follow the rules... we manage okay to follow the forum's rules and they're not backed up by anything more severe than a suspension or ban of forum access!

14. Banish

Wise Guy

the specs cameras are already on trial and catching people it was on the news a few days ago

Northhamptonshire and cant remember the others are doing it

15. mrgubby

Mobster

Have you noticed the dirty/broken number plates about ??.

£30 fine if the Police pull you, but the cameras can't get you..............

16. Wol

Hitman

*cough*

M6

*cough*

17. MagicBoy

Capodecina

They look like large CCTV cameras with a couple of sensors either side of the lens. The one's i've seen in Nottingham and the M6 in Warrington were mounted on a cast iron arch thing over Lane 1 and had a luminous yellow background behind the camera.

In Warrington, there's a series of three about a mile apart, and it measures speed across any two of the three points. The Nottingham ones are on the main road into the city from the M1. There were so many I lost count...

18. Slackworth

Capodecina

Nottingham A610 is the worse for Specs

19. Dogbreath

Capodecina

The "sensors" are actually infra red lamps to illuminate the road road (invisibly) at night.

Any of the GPS detectors will pick these cash registers..err..speed cameras up.

20. MagicBoy

Capodecina

Wasn't quite sure what they are - look like those PIR sensors you get in a house alarm, hence why I called it that...

Cash registers - LOL!:D