New Breed of speed cameras?

Soldato
Originally posted by Dogbreath
Any of the GPS detectors will pick these cash registers..err..speed cameras up.

ROFL;) :D

Have you noticed the dirty/broken number plates about ??.
;)

Are you suggesting something? :D And I've seen plenty of dirty plates around here!! Another thing ive seen is two cameras on the way to where im going tomorrow that have had their lenses and flashes sprayed!!

Soldato
Theres a new load of SPECS going up on the M6 around the Thelwall Viaduct. IIRC they start just before Junction 21 (Warrington South). The cameras are on the gantry's with orange backboards behind them.

There is another set on the M62 around Burtonwood (Warrington) too, but those have been there at least 12 months.

Soldato
I am fairly confident that I saw one SPECs system mounted up on a pole near the ASDa roundabout (A52, just after the bridge) in Grantham, Lincs today but wasnt paying enough attention to be sure!

Anyone who lives in the area seen this or am I imagining things? If it is a Specs camera, where is the other one(s)?

ZuG

ZuG

Associate
i thought these have been around for a long long time. Theres loads up the m6 just past warrington where the new road works are. I think they are only on motorways where theres a speed restriction.

Soldato
So what would happen if you went through one of these without a front plate on the car? I presume they can do nothing about it if they have no way of identifying the car.

Soldato
Heres a question....

Are Specs camera's always installed in pairs....
i.e, 2 SPECs a mile appart, and if u travel between in less than 60 secs (assuming a 60 mph limit) they have you.

Or...

The specs sites are all linked.

You Leave your home in the morning and travel a couple of hundred miles, in a time such that your average speed is about 80mph. Then a specs camera at your destination photographs you and the system knows the time it took you to travel the couple of hundred miles means you were speeding.

I am sure it's the first system that is used, but how long is it going to be until we have something like the 2nd one?

Soldato
Originally posted by PeterNem
Heres a question....

Are Specs camera's always installed in pairs....
i.e, 2 SPECs a mile appart, and if u travel between in less than 60 secs (assuming a 60 mph limit) they have you.

Or...

The specs sites are all linked.

You Leave your home in the morning and travel a couple of hundred miles, in a time such that your average speed is about 80mph. Then a specs camera at your destination photographs you and the system knows the time it took you to travel the couple of hundred miles means you were speeding.

I am sure it's the first system that is used, but how long is it going to be until we have something like the 2nd one?

The first system is used and i hope the second system will not be in place in my lifetime

Associate
i dont think the second system is viable due to the fact that the possibilities for different routes, and different speed limits etc. would create to many possibilities. i know its not a long journey, but there are 3 or 4 fairly direct ways i could drive to college, but they all take different amounts of time due to different speed limits. also as someone else pointed out the fact that it would cross throughout the coverage of potentially a few different police forces (as even my short journey to college does, Surrey Police into a MET Police area) the connection and logistics of it all would become more complicated than nessecery. tbh though, the only time i speed is on motorways, and this is by 10mph, as my car always sat better at 80mph than 70mph. if they raised the motorway limit by 10mph as so many people want, i would have no reason to speed.

Soldato
OP
Matteh remember the system uses an averge and if its mean there is only 1 possible average!:eek: So it would not be hard to calculate at all but it certainly would not be fair and anyway it would need a lot of error displacement to even stand a chance of being reasonable!

Soldato
Originally posted by clv101
Just follow the rules... we manage okay to follow the forum's rules and they're not backed up by anything more severe than a suspension or ban of forum access!

The major difference there is that I agree with and respect the forum rules. The speed limits in this country, particularly on dual carriageways/motorways are a joke and largely considered as such by the vast majority of motorists. Anybody crawling along at 70mph or less is usually a danger to themselves and other motorists.

At the moment when on a dual under clear conditions I will happily go as fast as my car will take me (usually about 110 indicated If I get chance to build up speed, closing in on 120 indicated down big hills) however if the govt were to introduce a rigidly enforced 100mph limit I would have no issue at all with sticking to it and be happy for them to use any means they feel like to enforce it.

Soldato
Is that the things that they've had on the A14 for years? Kind of a blue box (although now with flourescent yellow panels) set a mile or so apart? Certainyl look like forward facing speed cameras to me. I think I first saw them on my way back from Hull in about 1999.

Soldato
Originally posted by nutcase_1uk
Is that the things that they've had on the A14 for years? Kind of a blue box (although now with flourescent yellow panels) set a mile or so apart? Certainyl look like forward facing speed cameras to me. I think I first saw them on my way back from Hull in about 1999.

They're just normal forward facing cameras as far as I'm aware.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Well, don't know about you guys, but makes me think twice about buying a fast car. Just too easy to get nicked in something like a Mitsu GTO or 300ZX.

So, when's someone going to bring out the next version of the Corolla AE86?
What we want is something that "feels" a whole lot faster and more interesting than it really is. Add some thin tyres so the grip isn't so huge that it requires a modicum of ability and we'll be back in business.
Thinking about it, I've just described my old Corolla GT FWD to a T.

Now, where do I find an 87' Corolla without rust...

Back
Top Bottom