New Breed of speed cameras?

Soldato
Originally posted by nutcase_1uk
Is that the things that they've had on the A14 for years? Kind of a blue box (although now with flourescent yellow panels) set a mile or so apart? Certainyl look like forward facing speed cameras to me. I think I first saw them on my way back from Hull in about 1999.

Those are Truevelo forward facing cams.

Associate
Loads of them on the M62 round J18 East and West, been there a while now and some of them have bin bags over them outside the road works. Guess they can't turn them off so they have to sling a bin bag over it:rolleyes:

Got to agree about the A610 from the M1 into Nottingham Bl**dy loads of them.

Just hope they dont start sticking them onto your fave B road blast :(

Lights out Party's over:mad:

Associate
Also on the A616 heading out of Langsett, past Stocksbridge towards the M1. Three pairs went up about Six months ago, they are forward facing underslung on bright yellow gantry's.

I have wondered how they would pickup the rear plate on my bike, unless the beam spread is wide enough to read both lanes. I haven't of course tried to test this :)

Cheers, Simon.

Soldato
The police are now using Truvelo a lot more due to the fact no radar/laser detectors can pick them up as they don't emit anything to detect. The only way of picking these up is to use a GPS detector or of course know where they are.

They have 3 strips in the road. As soon as your tyre hits the first stripe, the clock starts ticking;) I'm not totally sure what the 2nd is for and the 3rd is for if you beat the time set, then the cameras will take some nice pictures of your front numberplate. If you get to the 3rd line on/after the time is set then ya safe and obviously aren't speeding:)

The worse areas for Truvelo's that I know of is Lincolnshire, The whole of Norfolk, Derby (All over the place...:(). The penalty is no greater as far as I know.

I can confirm the Specs near to Asda as we went under the lamposts they were mounted on just over a week ago. If you are heading to the East Coast from the Midlands, there is a nice little shortcut avoiding all of Grantham:D

Soldato
Originally posted by adwhitworth
The worse areas for Truvelo's that I know of is Lincolnshire, The whole of Norfolk, Derby (All over the place...:(). The penalty is no greater as far as I know.

Actually Norfolk is relatively camera free at the moment. There are none on the two major A roads that I know off* (maybe some on the A47 between Norwich and Yarmouth but I never go over that way) And off the top of my head I can only think of two cameras around the Norwich area both of which are in built up areas.

*Although there's frequently a mobile van doing the rounds which camps out on the bridges.

Soldato

I can confirm the Specs near to Asda as we went under the lamposts they were mounted on just over a week ago. If you are heading to the East Coast from the Midlands, there is a nice little shortcut avoiding all of Grantham:D

That shortcut by going onto the A1, then coming off at gonnerby moore roundabout?

Lincolnshire really sucks, we have ***** roads (I dont think a single motorway goes anywhere near lincs, our nearest must be the M1), we have loads of cameras, etc etc etc. I could moan all day but I'll save you from!

The A47 is a crappy road now, they have put in loads of bollards etc down the middle, which imho are bloody dangerous.

The are too little places to overtake as it is, sticking a little island in the middle of a long straight is just silly.

Soldato
Originally posted by PeterNem

The A47 is a crappy road now, they have put in loads of bollards etc down the middle, which imho are bloody dangerous.

The are too little places to overtake as it is, sticking a little island in the middle of a long straight is just silly.

One day they'll see sense and dual it all the way from Yarmouth through to the M1.

Until then I'll just have to keep going down the A11, accross the A14 and then back up the M1 everytime I want to go North :(

Soldato
then the cameras will take some nice pictures of your front numberplate.

It's nice to know that Bikers are exempt, then:(

As for linking SPECS across the country, they only need to know the shortest time it could take given every route at maximum speed limit, so it's possible in theory, but the amount of data required would be prohibitive, as your info would have to be replicated to every center, as there's no inclination of your intended destination.

Once you have to replicate every piece of information about every car passing any SPECS in the country to everywhere they could possible go, you trigger a huge amount of data exchange. I think that would be unworkable.

Even if the data is very small and uses next to no bandwidth it also raises the question of human rights, as the government (or police service) would effectively be monitoring your every move, by being able to say "this car was here then, and then it went here, and then here". This data would have to be recorded to give average speeds over long distances. This would probably be against human rights.

Associate
They have a flaw though, as in theory and as I live just of Junc 21 of the M6.

I go belting in to the roadworks on the way home form work lets say doing 80mph double the speed limit going north on the M6, if you could ever do that speed on that stretch of road. But get off at Junc 21 before the 2nd or 3rd Specs Cameras, so when I get on in the morning some15 hours later again going north picking up the 3rd Camera my average speed will be 0.000 etc assuming it records the info for that long.

Having said that get a GPS Speed Camera detector like Road Angel, I have been well impressed with mine, it is amazing how inaccurate speedos are.

Associate

:eek: I live in Grantham, better watch out for that one then, I thought it was just a traffic control camera.

Nige.

Soldato
Originally posted by kaiowas
Actually Norfolk is relatively camera free at the moment. There are none on the two major A roads that I know off* (maybe some on the A47 between Norwich and Yarmouth but I never go over that way) And off the top of my head I can only think of two cameras around the Norwich area both of which are in built up areas.

*Although there's frequently a mobile van doing the rounds which camps out on the bridges.

Oops, I kinda talked that one up didn't I :(

Was on the way to my mums last night and got pulled by an unmarked car. 95 on a dual carriageway. :o Still I've got no complaints as it's my first speeding offence and I'm surprised I lasted so long. I've even seen the car that pulled me being filled up at the petrol station before so I should have spotted it but didn't notice them until the blue lights came on. Considering that 100 is ban territory and the speedo is usually into 3 figures on that stretch I consider my 3pts and £60 fine to be getting off quite lightly as well.

Soldato
Wanna see what the new breed look like?

specs.jpg

SPECS System
Speed Violation Detection Deterrent, SVDD is the digital brain which the SPECS system is based upon, it uses state of the art video system with Automatic Number Plate Reading (ANPR) digital technology. Consisting of two video cameras each fitted with infra red illuminators, giving the ability to work 24hrs 7days a week.

SPECS are fitted either at the roadside or central reservation a set distance apart to create a speed controlled zone, or where appropriate, groups of cameras can be linked to create a speed controlled network. Mounted to a single or doubled armed distinctive blue SPECS column, they are linked together via computer.

As vehicles pass between the entry and exit camera points their number plates are digitally recorded, whether speeding or not. Then, by ANPR recognition, the images on the video of matching number plates are paired up, and because each image carries a date and time stamp, the computer can then work out your average speed between the cameras, and then will make a decision if the preset speed threshold is triggered. This data is then digitally stored on a central computer, so that there is no need for film to be collected and changed at the cameras site.

SPECS is currently in use in permanent sites in Nottingham, Gloucester and Northamptonshire and in temporary locations in Cheshire, Kent, West Midlands and West Yorkshire.

BeatMaster :D

Soldato
Originally posted by Euro_Hunter
:eek: I live in Grantham, better watch out for that one then, I thought it was just a traffic control camera.

Nige.

Not too far from me then. Ruskington, Near Sleaford. Rarely bump into another from these parts online!!

Originally posted by BeatMaster
SPECS is currently in use in permanent sites in Nottingham, Gloucester and Northamptonshire and in temporary locations in Cheshire, Kent, West Midlands and West Yorkshire.

And in Lincolnshire so it seems!

ZuG

ZuG

Associate
Originally posted by BeatMaster
They are all up the M6 from Junction 21 to about 27.

Soldato
specs in gloucester !? any idea if there is a way to find out where?

Edit

THis is obviously to know the location of local accident blackspots btw

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom