New Build Advice

Associate
Well the time has come for me to build a new rig. I've had a go at putting a build together, and I can't really go higher on price unfortunately (thus the value board, which I understand is good considering the price?).

Any advice on whether this is a good setup? I'm tempted to wait for the Geforce 9800 series but not heard anything concrete about when they're going to be made available - a Google doesn't seem to turn up anything other than smoke and mirrors (and now I've made my mind up I want to build the machine now :D )

Here we go:

OcUK Value IP35 Pro Intel P35 Motherboard
BFG GeForce 8800 GT OC 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI
OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C5 Dual Channel Vista Gold Series DDR2
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 LGA775 'Wolfdale' 2.66GHz (1333FSB)
Samsung SpinPoint T 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache x 2
Samsung SH-S203NBEBN 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer Lightscribe x 2
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler
Coolermaster Real Power 620w Modular Power Supply
NZXT Hush Classic Series Silent Midi-Tower Case

Any thoughts folks?

Man of Honour
That looks pretty decent to me, if you are going to be overclocking then you might want to consider PC8000+ Ram since it is a 1333mhz FSB CPU. The only other point I'd check is that the motherboard supplies enough voltage to the Ram on initial boot or that you can easily change the voltage in bios as not all motherboards supply 2v+ by default.

Any particular reason for the dual DVDRWs? Just buying one at the moment would free up a bit of cash for minor changes such as faster Ram or a more expensive motherboard.

Associate
OP
Oops

Sorry budget is about £750 inc VAT, and the reason for the dual DVD-RWs - I dunno lol. They're less than £20 squid each so I thought why not lol. This will will be an OC'd gaming rig.

I get the point on the memory though - another couple of quid and I could get 2GB of the loose-timing 1066mhz kit I guess? That would give me some more OCing room. Too many choices! :)

Back
Top Bottom