New Build Advice

Associate
I currently have a pc, that originally was a pre-built, but I have since upgraded the CPU and GPU. I however feel like its time to build a new PC as I want better FPS for gaming and faster boot times.

I am definitely looking for an SSD in a build and want preferably above 8gb of ram.

My current CPU is an i5-4460 @ 3.2GHz

I want to use some parts of my old build which include a Corsair VS550 (550 W) PSU and an EVGA GeForce GTX 1050ti 4GB DDR5 GPU.

I am not looking to spend too much on the build but I really want a better performing pc. Maybe around £500 or so? If that's not possible then please let me know!

Associate
OP
It will be more than possible as your going to be using parts from your old build.... Are you happy with AMD or Intel? What sort of resolution will you be gaming at?
I want to be gaming at 1080p compfortably and would prefer AMD. But I would a want a processor better than mine currently.

Soldato
I want to be gaming at 1080p compfortably and would prefer AMD. But I would a want a processor better than mine currently.

Ryzen 2600 with B450 board would be around half your budget then the rest on some decent fast RAM and a nice SSD

Or

Try put together a Ryzen 3600 bundle, if your confident enough to flash the BIOS on a B450 board you could save £££ there instead of a X570 board

Associate
If you want a better performing PC realistically you need a new GPU as well. The i5 is very dated, but the 1050Ti is also a pretty bad card at this stage. Some new games have to run at 1080p all low to get 60fps stable.

What games are you playing? Certain games a CPU upgrade would be a priority, others the GPU.

For example, Apex Legends runs great on an i5-4440 but badly on a 1050Ti. Meanwhile, something like BFV online runs pretty OK on a 1050Ti, but badly on an i5-4440.

Your budget should cover a Ryzen 2600, B450M, 16GB DDR4 3200mhz, 250GB SSD and a GTX1660. All major, major upgrades.

Associate
OP
If you want a better performing PC realistically you need a new GPU as well. The i5 is very dated, but the 1050Ti is also a pretty bad card at this stage. Some new games have to run at 1080p all low to get 60fps stable.

What games are you playing? Certain games a CPU upgrade would be a priority, others the GPU.

For example, Apex Legends runs great on an i5-4440 but badly on a 1050Ti. Meanwhile, something like BFV online runs pretty OK on a 1050Ti, but badly on an i5-4440.

Your budget should cover a Ryzen 2600, B450M, 16GB DDR4 3200mhz, 250GB SSD and a GTX1660. All major, major upgrades.
I want to be playing games such as Rainbow Six Siege, Fortnite, Call Of Duty and other games like that at a higher fps.

So I took your advice and decided to look at a couple new parts including a new graphics card.

I have currently found the following but not too sure if they're compatible since i'm quite new to pc building.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SC
MSI B450 GAMING PLUS AM4 ATX Motherboard (I didn't get a micro board because I heard somewhere that they don't have PCI-E slots)
Kingston SA400S37 240GB SSD
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3000MHz

I am also looking for a new case but not too sure if the motherboard will fit.

If there are any improvements please let me know.

Last edited:
Associate
I would say all those games you listed are fine on a 4440 actually, but no harm to get the system upgrade now and be sorted for the next few years.

Yes, all those parts are fine and the Corsair is a good case. The other one is crap and I really would avoid it. If you want to save money there are far better 'budget' cases.

Micro-ATX are smaller and therefore often don't have as many expansion slots for PCI-E devices, but they all obviously have a PCI-E lane for your graphics card. So unless you have PCI-E additional cards, it's not a big deal (keeping in mind most MATX boards still have 1 or 2 pci-e additional slots also)

Associate
OP
I would say all those games you listed are fine on a 4440 actually, but no harm to get the system upgrade now and be sorted for the next few years.

Yes, all those parts are fine and the Corsair is a good case. The other one is crap and I really would avoid it. If you want to save money there are far better 'budget' cases.

Micro-ATX are smaller and therefore often don't have as many expansion slots for PCI-E devices, but they all obviously have a PCI-E lane for your graphics card. So unless you have PCI-E additional cards, it's not a big deal (keeping in mind most MATX boards still have 1 or 2 pci-e additional slots also)
So would something like this be a good choice?

Last edited:
Associate
Best to edit your post before a mod sees it. We have to link to OCUK site or the manufacturer's own website, as these forums are paid for by OCUK.

Soldato
That B450 board you've posted is on the OCUK clearence section for £50... I had it before and seemed to do an alright job but I don't overclock my CPU so if your planning on that then maybe something else

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £50.00 (includes shipping: £0.00)​
mobile-minimized.png

Back
Top Bottom