New build advice

Associate
OP
The corsair RM series is much better with a 10 year warranty.
Thanks - after a bit of thought i decided it was worth spending a little extra and getting the corsair.

So I ordred all the parts today ready to build as soon as they arive .

Thanks all for your input usefful and friendly advice very much appreicated

Associate
OP
Well all the parts arrived and - no cpu cooler :( Otherwise all was great with them apart from a missing m2 screw and I have plenty of screws
The cooler isnt a big deal as I live not too far from a local retailer so can get one from there today ( also decided to get some extra case fans so I'll have some on the case controller and some on the motherboard )

I did spend over 2 hours cleaning the gpu - there was an excessive amount of thermal paste on the processor which had gone all over the place. But it looks like new now.

The motherboard now has nvme drive cpu and memory fited and will be in the case later once I get the cooler.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well all the parts arrived and - no cpu cooler :( Otherwise all was great with them apart from a missing m2 screw and I have plenty of screws

I did spend over 2 hours cleaning the gpu - there was an excessive amount of thermal paste on the processor which had gone all over the place. But it looks like new now.

Which GPU did you buy?
Was the screw missing because it was a B Grade?

I'd take out the mention of competitors to comply with forum rules. It sounds like it has been fun so far. The nervy part is powering on and troubleshooting any issues. Hope it goes well.

Associate
OP
Which GPU did you buy?
Was the screw missing because it was a B Grade?

I'd take out the mention of competitors to comply with forum rules. It sounds like it has been fun so far. The nervy part is powering on and troubleshooting any issues. Hope it goes well.
yeah the missing screw is down to B grade. but I was ready for that.

The GPU is my existing one asus r9290-DC20C-4Gd5 hence why I spent ages cleaning it . I'll be looking for a new one in a years time when hopefully prices settle.

Though it has been fun so far and the case is making things a lot eaiser than my 15year old case !

Associate
OP
Well that was a lot of fun!

One problem in the build was a bent pin on the motherboard on the USB 3.1 gen1 header - I wonder if this was why it was B grade . A bit awkward to straighten as it was pin 1 and bent right to the edge of the socket - but I manged it
Other than that I had a couple of issues routing sata cables from the drives in the 3.5 inc bays These needed to be the angled ones and a couple of the thumb screws holding in the bays got in the way of the sata cables.

But all the hardware booted on the first go which was brilliant.

I then put a fresh install of windows 10 pro as my old machine needed a clean up. And as I do run linux I did a reinstall of Ubuntu as well - but that took hours as I "tidied" up my partions ( 4 legacy drives ) and managed to mess up the efi patition first time - but got there in the end.

All in a great learning build - the pc will need a better gpu when they get cheaper but I'm very happy with the result.

So Thanks again for all the input as I have got a far beter build with the advice from here.

Back
Top Bottom