• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New Build - CPU Always at max clock speed.

Associate
As mentioned in the title I recently built my first PC but the CPU is always at 4.2Ghz (the max for a ryzen 5 3600) and never goes down. Going to power options in the control panel, switching between all the options does nothing except in power saving mode where it halves the clock speed to 2.1Ghz. If it helps I have an MSI B550 Gaming Edge WiFi. The CPU always being at 4.2Ghz even when at idle causes the temps to be higher when there is no need for them to be... Help appreciated!

SOLVED - I reset the CMOS and reseated the CPU and it fixed itself (but it only shows in Ryzen Master properly)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Have a google for ryzen power plan. I think this will likely solve your issue :) I think they are now bundled into the latest chipset drivers so its likely those bad boys you need.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Have a google for ryzen power plan. I think this will likely solve your issue :) I think they are now bundled into the latest chipset drivers so its likely those bad boys you need.
I already have these ryzen power plans but they do nothing. The only thing that changes it so that the clock speed isn't always at 4.2Ghz is power-saving mode. All the ryzen modes don't change anything...

Associate
OP
Good luck dude.
It seems to have worked but both NZXT CAM and Task Manager don't really show the change. In Task Manager it goes between 3 and 4.2Ghz but only in Ryzen Master does it show the CPU clock speed as going down when idle, it's a bit weird really. At least my idle temps have gone down now!

Man of Honour
It seems to have worked but both NZXT CAM and Task Manager don't really show the change. In Task Manager it goes between 3 and 4.2Ghz but only in Ryzen Master does it show the CPU clock speed as going down when idle, it's a bit weird really. At least my idle temps have gone down now!

Sweet. That is good news! I keep meaning to spend a bit of time with the wifes 3600, they are great cpus really, it's crazy what you can get for the money these days. It's just crazy how much they have changed from one gen to the next. My threadripper doesn't behave anything like the wifes 3600.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom