New build for Flight Sim 2020

Soldato
Sounds tempting, trying to how much cash I can raise selling my child before committing! 3*** has brought much more to think about.

I could even initially try this route, and give my 1660 SUPER a go for a few months and then change both CPU's and GPU's when there is stock and sensible pricing on both new products (zen 3 / 3***).

If I go down this route have you suggested what B550 would you suggest ?

I listed the 2070S but also with statement to hold and glad i did but also acts a placement marker . again for flight siim would stick to Intel. purely because you'll be overclocking to 5.2ghz . slapping in something more powerful then 2080ti on a system that already taxes CPU heavily might make it work even harder to catch up with the GPU! CPU bottle neck .

@Plec would normally suggest an Xtreme board!

Soldato
Sounds tempting, trying to how much cash I can raise selling my child before committing! 3*** has brought much more to think about.

I could even initially try this route, and give my 1660 SUPER a go for a few months and then change both CPU's and GPU's when there is stock and sensible pricing on both new products (zen 3 / 3***).
Sounds sensible if you have the patience.

If I go down this route have you suggested what B550 would you suggest ?
Both decent boards for a predominantly gaming PC.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £326.04 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Thanks to no annoying fans on the B550 - no need for an Xtreme :p

/moans about them being a year too late and missing out by 2 months...​

Soldato
@Plec

Elite is 12+2 (50amps) UK RMA
Toma is 10 (60amps) +2+1. EU RMA

Both equal 600amps across Vcore

Toma is twinned is believe like Asus. And soon Elite V2 will be twinned (will get a lower VRM temp as currently 2c hotter then Toma, but voltage of twinning is different from Doublers or Straight like B550 Master )

Associate
OP
I listed the 2070S but also with statement to hold and glad i did but also acts a placement marker . again for flight siim would stick to Intel. purely because you'll be overclocking to 5.2ghz . slapping in something more powerful then 2080ti on a system that already taxes CPU heavily might make it work even harder to catch up with the GPU! CPU bottle neck .

Good advice to hold fire - especially after the 3*** launch. Will wait I think on reviews, but 3080 does look sweet - not sure I want to change cards twice.

I have not overclocked to date and must say am not madly keen on the idea (about having the time and interest to get it right - any spare time I have is limited). I guess it boils down to budget, I'm not ignoring intel advice - its whether I punt for the intel now (Core i9-10850K or Intel Core i7-10700K) or have the patience to await the zen3 (and go down the AMD route and sell the 3600 later). And just await the new 3***'s.

Some things to think about.

Thanks again

Soldato
Good advice to hold fire - especially after the 3*** launch. Will wait I think on reviews, but 3080 does look sweet - not sure I want to change cards twice.

I have not overclocked to date and must say am not madly keen on the idea (about having the time and interest to get it right - any spare time I have is limited). I guess it boils down to budget, I'm not ignoring intel advice - its whether I punt for the intel now (Core i9-10850K or Intel Core i7-10700K) or have the patience to await the zen3 (and go down the AMD route and sell the 3600 later). And just await the new 3***'s.

Some things to think about.

Thanks again

As mentioned before. Both Intel and AMD have new CPU next year. Can already see Intel's via laptop... Beats Ryzen 4*** APU/laptop design with less cores though that isn't Zen3 CPU, the 8 cores to a die is .

Zen3 Vs 11th Gen is the good fight. And finally !!! Have a power king of a GPU via 3090 SLi to bottle neck the heck out of it for testing !

If you get 10600k or 3600k... You'll most likely sell in 2 odd years for 11900k or 4900x haha

Associate
OP
As mentioned before. Both Intel and AMD have new CPU next year. Can already see Intel's via laptop... Beats Ryzen 4*** APU/laptop design with less cores though that isn't Zen3 CPU, the 8 cores to a die is .

Zen3 Vs 11th Gen is the good fight. And finally !!! Have a power king of a GPU via 3090 SLi to bottle neck the heck out of it for testing !

If you get 10600k or 3600k... You'll most likely sell in 2 odd years for 11900k or 4900x haha

Hmmm - you keep giving me things to think about. :)
If I were not overclocking is there a big performance difference between i5-10600K vs i7-10700K vs i9-10850K) - apart from £276 vs £374 vs £428. Its unlikely I will be overclocking (of course that might change should I get a life), so do I need the k versions ?

Soldato
@PlecToma is twinned is believe like Asus. And soon Elite V2 will be twinned (will get a lower VRM temp as currently 2c hotter then Toma, but voltage of twinning is different from Doublers or Straight like B550 Master )
Cheers, bud.

Hehe, SLi is dead for average gamer - long live the single card solution :p (I would love to see your power-mad-build if you ever won the lottery. You would probably cause brownouts in your local area.)

The idea is that he sells the 3600 on release of 4700X/4900X - and then hopefully takes a minimum hit on the 3600 resale price if he buys new for ~£160 (the offset being the B550 price compared to listed z490).

Hmmm - you keep giving me things to think about. :)
It's called - 'more-power-syndrome' :D

*Note - i'm not pushing you to buy a Zen3 - put out there for consideration. Buyer's choice...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@Plec 's dream list is 3950x and Xtreme to be replaced by 4950x :)
I'm feeling a little battle of the brands ;)

In case it got missed earlier - If I were not overclocking is there a big performance difference between i5-10600K vs i7-10700K vs i9-10850K) - apart from £276 vs £374 vs £428. Its quite unlikely I will be overclocking (of course that might change should I get a life!).

Soldato

In case it got missed earlier - If I were not overclocking is there a big performance difference between i5-10600K vs i7-10700K vs i9-10850K) - apart from £276 vs £374 vs £428. Its quite unlikely I will be overclocking (of course that might change should I get a life!).

6c/12t Vs 8c/16t Vs 10cores/20threads

Believe 10700k holds higher boost speed then 10850k with 10900k having the most. Still beats AMD for speed but ideally you'd squeeze higher out of the all core speeds ... But with good cooling !!!

Haha, we do love the Xtreme board but the cost of it is NUTS ! And up comes the B550 Master and out muscles the X570 Xtreme with features ....

As for intel Vs AMD. Finally nice to have competition !

Prices would have been cheaper if not for Covid and weaker pound

Soldato
Nah, you've probably got 2 of the most unbiased members on the forum. Orbi, in that he will try and get you maximum oomph out of any system (regardless of CPU) as for myself I try to get best pound to performance ratio as a whole (ignoring slight single thread advantages).

As mentioned buyers choice - my recommendation is purely for comparison/balance - doesn't make it right for you.

The cores, if utilised, will make the biggest difference between them.

EDIT: See, @orbitalwalsh even has more oomph with speed of replies. :D

Associate
I’m following this discussion as I’m looking to upgrade as well, probably intel + Mobo + ram + rtx 3080. Info in this thread is very useful.

Associate
OP
I’m following this discussion as I’m looking to upgrade as well, probably intel + Mobo + ram + rtx 3080. Info in this thread is very useful.
Feedback so helpful here always, challenge is at the of all advice you have to make choices.
I'm leaning towards the i5 - reviews where ever I look for gaming are great. Also good value.
Will stick with my GTX 1060 SUPER until either 3070 or 3080's are available and I can then order - so can save some pennies until then.

Just need to settle on a motherboard, Z490 in previous post likely candidate.

What are you going to do with your PC?, interesting to see what others choose - can spend hours and hours go through these forums.

Soldato
Both incredibly helpful - good to have all the info to work with.

In terms of the i5-10600K & i7-10700Kall would you still @orbitalwalsh go for the Mobo you suggested for the 10850k ?

1 x Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC (Socket LGA 1200) DDR4 ATX Motherboard= £199.99

It's what the mobo should be priced at and under ......

Would try and place as much funds for GPU as possible. Great if you can land 10850k but you'll keep it longer before swapping or run it till it's bested etc .
10600k will allow your wallet to move on to 11th Gen more easier and 10700knwill become mainstream for AAA titles .

Soldato
Would try and place as much funds for GPU as possible.
Agree with Orbi, if building a system for FS20. If possible try and grab a 8c/16t minimum - just to keep future console parity for subsequent ported games etc.. Plus, you'll be less likely to feel the need to upgrade for the duration of systems life. But, you could always upgrade whatever CPU you get in the future, second hand, if you feel its bottle-necking the system. As, Orbi has pointed out a 6c/12t CPU coupled with a mighty GPU will serve you better than a more expensive CPU and lesser GPU for FS20.

And, although you're reluctant to overclock - if you're buying INTEL the CPU really is begging to be abused - so you could experiment at a later date when you're more comfortable and familiar with the system. You're high end GPU will appreciate the CPU's minimal pain.

Back
Top Bottom