New Build Gaming PC with ~£2.5k budget

Associate
Hi Everyone,

I want to build a new PC that can max out Red Dead Redemption 2 and Flight Simulator 2020. My current PC is 6 years old and has served me very well (I'll donate it to a family member, and hopefully it will last many more years! :))

Current specs:
  • MSI GeForce GTX 780Ti Gaming Edition 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
  • Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz (Devil's Canyon) Socket LGA1150 Processor
  • Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
  • Corsair Hydro H105 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CW-9060016-WW )
  • Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850W '80 Plus Bronze' Fully Modular Power Supply
  • Kingston HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) PC3-17100C11 2133MHz Dual Channel Kit - BlackRed (HX21C11BRK28-OC)
Can you please recommend a new set up? I'm not sure what the going rate is for a high-end gaming PC nowadays. Not too concerned about budget; if it lasts another 5 or 6 years like my current PC, then I'm happy to pay more.

Required: Motherboard, CPU, memory, graphics, SSD (at least 1TB), case, cooler, etc.
Not required: Monitor, peripherals, Windows...

Thanks!

Soldato
Welcome to the forums :)

What resolution is your monitor? Do you want a windowed case and rgb lighting etc or do you not care about the looks as much?

Now is a pretty terrible time to buy with new stuff not far away (gpus and cpus) so could you wait a few months?

Associate
OP
Welcome to the forums :)

What resolution is your monitor? Do you want a windowed case and rgb lighting etc or do you not care about the looks as much?

Now is a pretty terrible time to buy with new stuff not far away (gpus and cpus) so could you wait a few months?

I have a 4K display. A Windowed case is preferred. If I’m paying a lot of money for it, I suppose it should look good

If it’s worth waiting a few months, I’m happy to do that. My need is not urgent. What kind of new stuff is on the way?

Thanks!

Soldato
Well the new Ryzen 4000 cpus are heavily rumoured to be releasing this year and both Nvidia and AMD both supposedly have new graphics cards releasing this year also. I'd say wait if you can.

Associate
I think the general consensus is that because there are new CPUs and GPUs coming later this year potentially, if you can wait a little, at the very least you'll get a price drop on the current parts, if not better parts for the same budget.

Associate
OP
Hi again. So the 3080 looks tempting! I’d even go for the 3090 if I could be convinced that it’s worth it. But it may be overkill for my needs and not worth the extra expense.

Just now I’m running a 4K monitor @ 60Hz (3840x2160). I will probably swap it next year for an ultra widescreen 4K, but for now what I have is fine.

Is it worth waiting for the new CPUs, or should I just go for it when the 3080/90 is released? My current rig is old, so I don’t want to wait for months. Am I right in saying that no release dates have been announced for the new gen CPUs?

I’d like a build if possible that gives me scope to easily upgrade in future, should I decide later that the new CPUs (or the 3090!) are worth buying. Is that do-able, or is it likely to require major surgery (new motherboard, new case, etc?)

Cheers.

Associate
You could certainly get a cheap(ish) ryzen 3000 cpu and do a simple swap to a 4000 when they come out, if you feel you need it, which I would doubt. You'll probably be able to recoup 75% of the cost of (say) a ryzen 3600.

Some people here think that the 10GB of memory on the 3080 is on the low side and that there will be a version with more along soon in the sub £1000 range. That of course depends on what AMD bring out (probably next month). The 3090 is going to be overkill for the vast majority of users imo.

Soldato
You could certainly get a cheap(ish) ryzen 3000 cpu and do a simple swap to a 4000 when they come out, if you feel you need it, which I would doubt. You'll probably be able to recoup 75% of the cost of (say) a ryzen 3600.

That's what I'm planning to do, but with a 3700X depending on the performance increase with next gen

Associate
OP
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,330.96 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Something like this? (+3080)

Any recommendations for a case? Ideally something big enough to accommodate a 3090, if I decide to switch to that (or a similar-sized GPU) in future.

Also, I'm not sure about the SSD option, my knowledge in that area is not very good (I need 2TB)

Soldato
Look up elsewhere the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB. About £220 delivered, saves you £160 ;) OcUK don’t stock Adata drives unfortunately.

RAMs decent but can also be had for £145 elsewhere...

Rest of the build looks good though. Case wise look at something like the Phanteks P500A or the BeQuiet 500DX, both good mesh air flow cases.

3080 GPU would be the best for the money imo. Seems to be a great 1440p high refresh rate and 4K gaming card. Can’t justify a 3090 personally but I’d never spend that much money. I’m upgrading soon to the 3080 and only just justifying that price tag :p

Associate
OP
So I went ahead and built this a few weeks ago (thanks for all the advice!)

Not impressed with the crappy USB connector on the cooler. It’s a £0.50 connector on a £130 cooler, which broke almost instantly after I assembled it (connector came loose inside :()

Got it replaced, so all good now. Using my old 780ti as a placeholder until something better becomes available.

Back
Top Bottom