New! Build help needed for a 4k Video &Gigapixel photo editing machine

Associate
Hello All,

My colleague pointed me to the forums. I have had a look around and couldn't find anything that met my specific requirements.

I would like to build a new PC that is able to edit 4k video at up to 60 fps (taken with my RPAS) and edit photos some of which can be up-to 4gb in size (massive 250+ photo panoramic's) main software used is Photoshop, Affinity, Light room and Sony Vega Pro and Microsoft ICE (this is an amazing photo 'stitcher' that is free by the way) if the machine can do all this smoothly I will be happy. I am happy to have a spec that can cope but not necessarily wiz along i.e. if it makes a big difference in cost between having to wait another 10 minutes for the video to render then so be it.

Photoshop's recommended config is to have 3 fast drives... 1 for boot, 1 for exporting out the images too and 1 as a scratch disk (i assume that means a dedicated speedy drive just for virtual memory)

For large storage I have an external NAS.

I am open to Rizen :-0 but nervous as its new technology and unsure about these Vega?spell? GPU's coming out soon - maybe I wait and see...would love to hear your views on this one!

I work in IT but have completely lost the way with hardware specs, I last built a PC with an AMD Thunderbird to give you an idea how log ago that was and I was 12 years old lol I am really relying on peoples advise here before i place an order.

Budget is £2000 (excluding peripherals) I suspect the Rizen will give me a lot more bang for the buck?

I cant wait to get your advise I'm so confused! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
@PhotoshopMatt

pros and cons for using Ryzen- More cores- lots more when you include x399 threadripper coming around the corner with its cheaper price then Intel x99 line up and x299 coming in!
down sides are lack of M.2's to keep up fast drives along with ram issues for large photo edits where as z270 has the m.2 slots, some with Plex chips to allow more! but only 4 core/ 8 thread i7 core . x99 would be more ideal but is expensive and older tech.

might be worth holding out if you can till after computex to see how AMD X399 10+ ryzen cores turn out. Hopefully AMD has got ram speeds and amount of ram sorted for release this time around .

Soldato
Thank you orbitalwalsh - yes the ram speeds only goto a certain mhz atm then cause issue with Ryzen I understand.

not sure how ram speed effect Photoshop and video editing personally .

I will say an intel board like Z270 chipset that allows skylake processor with Intel Optane m.2 drive could be used to boot speeds of HDD to SSD speeds. Boards like Aorus K5/ Strix E can have 2 m.2 drives. One could be a super fast Samung NVMe drive for OS and media programs whilst second used for Intel Optane to speed up high storage HDD which i'm guessing you'll need plenty of- storage!

only problem is that it comes in 4 core- 8 thread 7700 or 7700k which is costly compared to Ryzen 7 1700 that has 8 core- 16 threads, although slower in games in some cases, should be faster then Intel 4 cores for the work your doing. It can even beat most of intels X99 line up that cost almost double the price!

If you can hang on till the end of the month to see what happens at computex as well as other members weighing in, such give you a better idea.

pros and cons for both.

I'd be personally siding with Ryzen 7 1700 ( no need for higher models or even overclocking in your case but base 1700 still can)
Gigabyte X370 Gaming K3- yes you dont need the overclocking features or ability to run dual cards but has more Sata ports for storage, and the Second PCIe slot used for a second card could go to adding a second Fast NVMe drive

Back
Top Bottom