New build noise problems between floors

Associate
Hi all,

I purchased a new build property from David Wilson Homes, a subsidiary or Barratts in London last year.

the noise problems between floors in my house is horrific. I have noticed when I have had my carpets pulled up due to creaking problems that the floors are hollow so essentially it’s some floor boards and wooden joists between each floor and that’s it.

I have complained to barratts, DWH and spoken with the people who fitted the boards who have said that it conforms to building regs. I have looked this up and it should not be above 40db. I can’t believe that this actually confirms to the holding regs. Anyone had experience of fighting this? I assume I need to get a survey done?

Soldato
If this is between floors that you own in your house, i.e. you aren't in a flat, then current building regs are as you have, just 'hollow' floors..

My side extension is 95% complete now and the builder has just been around screwing down all floor boards. When the floors/ceiling where due to be put on I was surprised there was no sound isolating insulation being put in, but the building inspector confirmed the regs don't call for it, and although I was going to put some in whilst I had the chance, the other issue was the electrical cables have to be derated if surrounded by insulation, thus would needed to have been upgraded to thicker cable to meet regulation.. so in the end I didn't bother.

I did however get the builder to use thicker sound insulating plasterboard for the ceilings, and as I've done throughout the house, 10-12mm sound isolating underlay for all carpets/laminate make it acceptably noise free.

Soldato
If you are getting significant noise transfer it's likely because there is airgaps through the floor, particularly if it's things like speech as opposed to low frequencies. Even the smallest of air gaps will let a lot of noise through. As an example think about when a window is fully closed versus open by only 1mm how much noise comes through.

I'd consider using a smoke blower / smoke machine to detect any air leakage between the two floors. Common places will be where any services are run.

As an example the noise transference in our David Wilson is very good bar the utility on the ground floor through to the en-suite on the first floor. The construction is similar and the main issue was the sink services had a large hole at the back which wasn't sealed.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I don't really understand the problem here in that floors are a pretty standard and have been so for many years. Floors are normally hollow, and it's the plasterboard underneath that absorbs most of the sound. It of course also depends on the floor coverings in that carpet is much better than a hard wooden floor. You can get acoustic underlay for carpets and hard floors. It's a possible its a timber frame house which tend to be more creaky, but there is no difference between that and a brick built house when it comes to the floor.

Associate
We've got a David Wilson home (built 2017) and I think similar floor construction to you between floors in the house. But then I don't think the construction is any different to any other house I;ve lived in (1900s, 1930s, 1960s). Top to bottom its (1st floor) carpet, underlay, floorboards, joists without any filler, then plasterboard, then plaster (ground floor).

Caporegime
We've got a David Wilson home (built 2017) and I think similar floor construction to you between floors in the house. But then I don't think the construction is any different to any other house I;ve lived in (1900s, 1930s, 1960s). Top to bottom its (1st floor) carpet, underlay, floorboards, joists without any filler, then plasterboard, then plaster (ground floor).

Things that have changed will include the size and thickness of joists. Frequently timber joists and cross bracing are no longer used, instead you get a steel honeycomb which does nothing to deaden noise. Thinner plasterboards, typically 9mm instead of 12+ and thinner flooring.

Soldato
Things that have changed will include the size and thickness of joists. Frequently timber joists and cross bracing are no longer used, instead you get a steel honeycomb which does nothing to deaden noise. Thinner plasterboards, typically 9mm instead of 12+ and thinner flooring.

I guess it's all cost cutting to limit material costs. Similar to how engineered items are modified to minimise cost but actually end up being less reliable because it's used less material and isn't as solid.

Soldato
Hi all,

I purchased a new build property from David Wilson Homes, a subsidiary or Barratts in London last year.

the noise problems between floors in my house is horrific. I have noticed when I have had my carpets pulled up due to creaking problems that the floors are hollow so essentially it’s some floor boards and wooden joists between each floor and that’s it.

I have complained to barratts, DWH and spoken with the people who fitted the boards who have said that it conforms to building regs. I have looked this up and it should not be above 40db. I can’t believe that this actually confirms to the holding regs. Anyone had experience of fighting this? I assume I need to get a survey done?

There are various products to soundproof floors if you want to put your own in.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I have an extension built and have insisted on a range of solutions. In the ceilings I have used sound proofing insulation two layers of plaster board on resilient frame and have used green glue to go between the boards. If that's not enough u might put mas loaded vinyl down on the floor upstairs and then seal the edges of the floors and pipes with sound proofing sealant.

Back
Top Bottom