New build or upgrade - Mainly video editing

Associate
Last year I built a completely new build for myself and gave my son my old PC so he could start to do some video editing ect for his Youtube page, triathlon training programmes and for sponsors product reviews. The pc has been ok, but now he has started to do more the poor thing is struggling, so we have decided to either upgrade ( I was looking on a second hand site for an I7 but they hold their price and obviously several years old now) or buy new. He doesnt have a huge budget so I need the best bang for buck for video stuff with a occational gaming as well ( games like Borderlands 2/3)

The pc as is -
MSI Z87-G45 gaming motherboard
I5 4670k cpu - doesnt clock well
Gigabyte GTX980
8gb DDR3 1600mhz memory
Corsair 850w modular CPU - at least 10years old
Corsair H80 with 2Noctua NF -F12 120mm cooling fans.
Coolmaster CM 690 II Advanced Nvidia edition case

For me, its all new build, replace all the component above if required - Budget is a max £1000.
Case wise I would like to reduce to a mid size case or smaller.
Is it worth upgrading the GPU?
The storage is covered with current ssd's.
AMD or Intel doesnt matter.
He uses Pinnacle studio 24 software for editing

Thanks for any input, build suggestions etc.

Soldato
Looks like the program is pro intel... None of the big review sites have benchmarks for the program .
Guessing by now it should like multicore CPU.. trying to see if it likes GPU acceleration...

• Intel 6th generation or later processor, or AMD Ryzen processor, required for face detection (Ultimate only)

Uses (H.265) and GPU support for decoding

• Intel Core i5 or i7 1.06 GHz or higher required for AVCHD & Intel Quick Sync Video support

In game but honestly can't see diff between intel quick sync and h.265

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
I like the above - but if you could wait until the 8th October - you get to choose from the Ryzen 4000 range or perhaps possible price drops of 3000 range (depending on supply demand).

As you have a budget of £1000 - i would want a semi passive PSU and 10 year warranty and an aftermarket cooler so you may want to consider some additional cost (but @orbitalwalsh's is great value - and very out of character -where's the moooore power :D)

My basket at Overclockers UK:

The 650W is only £5 cheaper - plus the 750W gives you more scope if you ever look at the upcoming 30 series or BIg Navi.

Note: A ~£20 120mm tower will keep things cool and quiet if looking to save costs - certainly better than supplied stock cooler.

Associate
OP
Thank you for your replies, it has given us something to think about. I know nothing about video editing and the specs required so am a little nervous to spend his money.
Where he struggles with his current I7 laptop or the I5 desk top is when he tries to run overlay scripting and add music etc, everything lags or jitters, especially when he is downloading from his Gopro if that make sense.
With the amount of editing he is doing now and the requirements needed in his videos we have upped his budget to a max of £1800.
The comments about the video editing software has been noted, I think his aim is to go down the Adobe route in the future once he has a system that can run it smoothly.
We can wait if new stuff is coming out, i do like the look of the current Thread ripper chips , but a little out of our price bracket for a build I think.

Cheers

Soldato
Definitely wait til 8th October for Zen 3 CPUs, we’ll get a release date that’s hopefully later in October.

Would also recommend a Nvidia 3070 GPU due to launch 15th October for £469. But you’ll likely have to be quick on the order trigger that date. No idea what stock will be like

Associate
OP
I have a small update to my thread, I have waited for the release dates for the new Ryzen 4000 series and it looks like early Nov for release, will these chips be readily available to get on Nov 5th????
My sons build budget has also changed to a max £1700 so hopefully it gives more options
He has binned the Pinnacle studio 24 software and will be mainly using Adobe Premier pro with video quality at 1080p but will soon be doing some 4K quality work.

I am currently thinking the Ryzen 3900x or xt as they are already starting to drop in price, ie under £400 for the X version so is the 20% performance the Ryzen 4000 predicts worth the extra££££.
I now have 2 M.2 1TB NVMe ssd,s so want a board that can accommodate them - X570?
Also to have a wifi motherboard is a requirement.
I think the Cpu will be best water cooled.
GPU i am thinking RTX2070 or the RTX3070 if stocks are availiable

I would like a nice case with good air flow, not silly money - up to £100 i guess

We can also wait till Blk Friday time to hopefully pick up some bargains again as I did on my build last year

thanks for any input

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a small update to my thread, I have waited for the release dates for the new Ryzen 4000 series and it looks like early Nov for release, will these chips be readily available to get on Nov 5th????
My sons build budget has also changed to a max £1700 so hopefully it gives more options
He has binned the Pinnacle studio 24 software and will be mainly using Adobe Premier pro with video quality at 1080p but will soon be doing some 4K quality work.

I am currently thinking the Ryzen 3900x or xt as they are already starting to drop in price, ie under £400 for the X version so is the 20% performance the Ryzen 4000 predicts worth the extra££££.
I now have 2 M.2 1TB NVMe ssd,s so want a board that can accommodate them - X570?
Also to have a wifi motherboard is a requirement.
I think the Cpu will be best water cooled.
GPU i am thinking RTX2070 or the RTX3070 if stocks are availiable

I would like a nice case with good air flow, not silly money - up to £100 i guess

We can also wait till Blk Friday time to hopefully pick up some bargains again as I did on my build last year

thanks for any input
If you will be making use of the cores then a £400 3900X will easily beat the £430 5800X.

Associate
OP
If you will be making use of the cores then a £400 3900X will easily beat the £430 5800X.

Sorry I meant the 3900x vs the 5900x, looking at prices now it seems it will be selling for £510+ bracket.
I have also started reading some video editing reviews which say the Intel I9 cpu is actually better, even with less cores.. It all gets confusing!!

Back
Top Bottom