Associate
Hi Everyone,

First time posting as I have been out the loop for a while in PC tech, trying to catch up with everything and thought it would be best to get input from people here.

I am a editor working mostly at production offices but with everything that has been going on I have been working at home for a while, now looking to upgrade my home PC.

I built my own PC many years ago:
i7-3930K
GTX 680 4GB
32GB Ram
512GB SSD Drive - OS
2x2TB Drive - Raid 0
1x1TB Drive - Cache
Noctua NF-F12PWM Case Fan 120 mm x 5

This has been a great PC over the years, but clients are now sending a lot of 4K through and I am getting tired of creating proxies for them.

I was hoping to build a new one that can handle 4K natively, with a budget of £1500, do you think this is doable? I will be taking the drives out the old PC to use in the new one so a full tower would be great as I will be creating raids out of the drives for faster media access. Redudancy is not a problem as I make daily and weekly backups on external drives, NAS storage and online cloud.

Any input would be great, I use Avid Media Composer, Adobe Suite, DaVinci Resolve. Clients are sending footage from Sony FS7, BMPCC 4K BRAW.

Associate
If you can wait a month 3900XT should be out for around same price as the 3900X.

Not sure if you'd want to go for a b550/x570 board so you have PCIe 4 support - imagine fast storage is important working with 4k videos.

Went for 2070S over an AMD card based on this:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-Roundup-NVIDIA-SUPER-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT-1563/

Build assumes you'll keep your case - new full towers seem quite expensive so would have to drop to a 2060S

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,480.01 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Associate
OP
That seems like a great build. I did read that the next series of AMD and Nvidia GPUS are supposed to be coming on with some great increases.

Looking at the basket build you have there, that was all really close to what I was choosing. Fast storage is a must, but as I have a lot of SSDs and HDDs I don't mind building a raid system with them otherwise they go to waste for media and using the PCIe for the faster media caches would be great.

I think it would be best to wait a couple of months, that’s one thing that’s always difficult. Always something new every year, hopefully when the new CPUs are released it can be another system that lasts me several years.

Thank you for your suggestion will have it as a base and work with the next AMDs.

Associate
No worries, yeah it's not a great time to buy if you can hold off for a few months. Ryzen 4000 series and next gen of GPUs are shaping up to be good, both supposed to be arriving by year's end

Back
Top Bottom