New build - Vcore and Ram speed questions!

Associate
hi guys,

Just put a new build together, got everything installed just now with no major issues. Just been poking around the bios and cpu-z, some things doesnt seem right.

From what i've read the 5050e (the cpu i am using) should be volted at 1.2 and not this high value. Is this just the Asus board overvolting by default? If so how do i turn it back down because as you can see, it doesn't give me many options. (just noticed the cpu-z value is different... lower but still high right?)

My second concern is the speed at which the ram runs at. These are the ocuk value ram and they should be running at DDR2 800mhz. But according to cpuz its running at 373.1 which makes it 746.2 right? So why am I 50 mhz short? Funnily enough I just looked at the bios and it says its running at 400...

Would appreciate any help and thanks in advance ;)

RK

P.S - How are those timings for value ram?

Soldato
The ram is a touch strange, I'd expect it to be running at a multiple of 200. 5 5 5 18 at 800mhz is pretty nasty but may well be the best you can get out of it, my very cheap ram runs 6 6 6 18 at 800.

For cpu, I strongly recommend updating the bios. It looks like the board is unable to read the vid from the chip so is having a guess at what voltage to pass it. The system at stock settings should be stable enough to update the bios successfully, if not you have genuine reason to take issue with the reseller. Still, if you have an older amd chip lying around I'd be inclined to use that for the bios update.

Cheers

Associate
OP
thanks for the reply.

Got the bios updated from 302 to 602, CPU problem still persisted. Funnily enough although the ram speed didnt change in the BIOS it fixed the CPU-Z display after the bios flash. So now its running at 400.

Didn't want to give up knowing that the extra voltage is slowly chipping away my 5050e's life, so I went into the bios once more and tried to turn down the Voltage manually using the overclocking options. There were plenty of options to keep on adding volts but none to take any away... untill i found a "power saving" option under cpu ratio and voltage. This brought it down to 1.280v. Which is still a bit high but i guess its slightly better.

Any ideas on how to get to down to where its supposed to be?

Thanks,

RK

EDIT - According to cool n quiet its using a bit less than 1.280 when its running at max speed, where as it goes down to less than 1v when its at 1ghz. is this how its supposed to be?

P.S- using an Asus M3A76-CM board.

Back
Top Bottom