New Canon DSLR.....which one?

Soldato
I'm in the same situation as you nantucket66. Have 400D from years ago, I havent had much time for photography over the past 2 years but now have a young family and would love to capture moments with good quality photos.
I was toying to get 5diii but recently read about Olympus OMD EM1 with their new 12-40 2.8 lens. You should have a read about it might suit your needs.

Just use your 400D it will still take great pictures! then if you get into it or find yourself limited you can upgrade as required you certainly don't need a new camera to capture quality photos!

Associate
Just use your 400D it will still take great pictures! then if you get into it or find yourself limited you can upgrade as required you certainly don't need a new camera to capture quality photos!

400D vs 5Diii L lens is a big difference obviously. 400D ISO 800 vs 5Diii ISO 800 also has a big difference.

I want to be able to pick up a camera with lens knowing that it will work well in low lighting and be quick enough to take photos of moving children/people, the only thing I need to worry about is composition. I do think it is excessive to spend that much on a camera and lens for fun but if it will increase the chances of the photo I take being sharp, clear and have good colour then I 'may' be willing to invest in it lol.
I have found that to get a good result with the 400D takes a bit more effort, time and thought compared to a more advance camera.

Associate
OP
Baby is due in 4 weeks!

Over the coming days I am going to order either a 700D or a 70D, still undecided which way to go. I am going to start with whichever body and the supplied standard 18-55 lens and a 50mm prime and go from there. I've got lots of other things to spend money on at the minute!

If I go with the 70D is the 50mm 1.8 good enough or should I be looking at the 50mm 1.4? What about the 700D with the same 2 lenses? Is the 50mm 1.4 overkill on the 700D

Ta!

Associate
If you can stretch to it, I'd go for the 70D and 50mm f/1.8 will be a great combo, my 60D felt much better in the hand then my old 500D and performed much better in low light situations as you want to avoid using a flash with a newborn.

I don't think you'd really find much use for the extra .2 of the f/1.4 though so I'd just go for the f/1.8.

Associate
If you can stretch to it, I'd go for the 70D and 50mm f/1.8 will be a great combo, my 60D felt much better in the hand then my old 500D and performed much better in low light situations as you want to avoid using a flash with a newborn.

I don't think you'd really find much use for the extra .2 of the f/1.4 though so I'd just go for the f/1.8.

The f1.4 transmits nearly double the light of the f1.8, but yes I'd agree the 1.8 is definitely the way to go initially. It's a fun lens and does stimulate creativity but you may find 50mm too tight on crop for general purpose use.

Associate
The f1.4 transmits nearly double the light of the f1.8, but yes I'd agree the 1.8 is definitely the way to go initially. It's a fun lens and does stimulate creativity but you may find 50mm too tight on crop for general purpose use.

Agree with this. Got the 60d and the 50mm 1.4. Brilliant price of kit but some times you just can't walk far enough backwards to get everything to for in the photo :)

Back
Top Bottom