New car delays.

Caporegime
I might be out of touch, but if I ordered a new car and told me a lead time of more than 2 months I'd be walking away. Absolutely mental but as I say maybe I am out of touch.

You are out of touch. For years a lot of manufacturers factory orders have always being around 10-12 weeks.

Soldato
Yep. And I royally ballsed up!

Ordered a M135i back in May, was estimated to be ready for the end of this month. It has since slipped back to September but I'm expecting October.

Stupidly, I got a good offer on my car towards the end of May which I sold it, thinking it wouldn't be that bad going a few weeks without a car.

So now I have no car and no date for the new car. Oops.

Soldato
Yep, computer shortages, Ford's in all sorts of problems in the states and GM, plus GM with their battery problems as well... all the companies bar the Japs are hitting problems... not sure on the Honda and Toyota backlogs, I've heard they're not as bad but beings as I don't buy new cars... makes no odds to me tbh. However, feel for people who are waiting, I'd probably quadrouple all times at the minute...

Soldato
Doesn't alter the fact paying north of £40k for a car and then waiting for over a quarter of a year for it is madness. I guess in some cases people have no option.
Isn't that just the trade off for having 11 million combinations of options ranging from paint colour to what colour the inserts in your cup holder are? Recent issues aside there has usually been options for 'stock' vehicles if you are after a general car in a common specification and colour if you want something quicker.

Colleague of mine recently picked up a new Golf Estate. He didn't get a choice of colour and had to go for a spec he didn't quite want but he did have the car just over a week later.

Caporegime
Doesn't alter the fact paying north of £40k for a car and then waiting for over a quarter of a year for it is madness. I guess in some cases people have no option.

I don't think £40k has any relevance, it won't speed it up. I bet if you order a £1 million car you will wait just as long if not longer. Perhaps if you offer the dealer £1 million for your £40k car you might get it next week. Money do talk.

I waited 8 months once for a guitar amplifier with far fewer parts, 5 years ago. No Covid, no parts shortage. Things takes time to make, it's not done by magic.

It's like people going to a restaurant to order food and thinks "why does it take an hour to cook my meal?"

Sure, it takes like 10 mins, but the family who arrived before you has ordered, so has another family, and then 10 others before you. So it will take about an hour to cook about 40 peoples' worth of food, who has come before you, then yours.

I welcome anyone who thinks they could do it faster to do it themselves. People think they are the only customer, always.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

You're ordering in many cases a bespoke product - it's built to order to your requirements. You can get stock vehicles much quicker in normal circumstances but it's not like the car factory can receive your order, have a space on the production line immediately and get it shipped to you same week is it?

Caporegime
You're ordering in many cases a bespoke product - it's built to order to your requirements. You can get stock vehicles much quicker in normal circumstances but it's not like the car factory can receive your order, have a space on the production line immediately and get it shipped to you same week is it?

People think they are the only customer, in every walks of life, forgetting there are thousands if not millions of others in the line before them. They think the factory line is empty waiting for their only order and soon as the order is placed, it is in the front of the line and gets built with their choice of colour, leather, parts and spec and drove across Europe from Germany to here.

All done inside a week.

Caporegime
Not so bad with options now is it? Most just offer packs so there are less actual combinations.

Still chose of colours and some options are always extras over the packs. Merc has gone full control though and there are only 3 packs plus the only option is adding a towbar. You cant even change the wheels now.

Caporegime

You plan ahead. I knew I would need a new car mid November so normally I would have ordered one around July, just in case of any delays. As it was with reading about all the chip and material shortages I ordered mine at beginning of May and it currently has a delivery date of 15th November. that's sure to slip though.

Soldato
Theres a delay in new cars that are in stock at VDC's too. Mine is held up due to needing an updated part. Obviously now they know they have an issue they can't knowingly release a faulty vehicle...

Man of Honour
Arguably the more expensive a car is, the more expensive gadgets it is likely to have that could cause a hold up in the supply chain.

Associate
Yep. And I royally ballsed up!

Ordered a M135i back in May, was estimated to be ready for the end of this month. It has since slipped back to September but I'm expecting October.

Stupidly, I got a good offer on my car towards the end of May which I sold it, thinking it wouldn't be that bad going a few weeks without a car.

So now I have no car and no date for the new car. Oops.

Worth asking BMW if they'll put you into a courtesy car while you wait. Neighbour's X2 has been delayed by another 3 months and they've given him one. Its rubbish, but it's a car at least.

Soldato
Worth asking BMW if they'll put you into a courtesy car while you wait. Neighbour's X2 has been delayed by another 3 months and they've given him one. Its rubbish, but it's a car at least.

I'm actually rather enjoying not driving at the moment. It has kickstarted my desire to get into cycling - which I suppose is bad as it's making me want to spend more money but that's life :p

I think when the weather shifts if it's taking much longer I'll do that. Not having a car for a few weeks has somewhat backfired though as now I'm thinking "Do I even need a car?" We've now converted to doing online shopping, no idea why we didn't do that already!

Though driving with aircon would've been rather nice so I didn't end up at the office sweating buckets haha.

Permabanned
I'm actually rather enjoying not driving at the moment. It has kickstarted my desire to get into cycling - which I suppose is bad as it's making me want to spend more money but that's life :p

I think when the weather shifts if it's taking much longer I'll do that. Not having a car for a few weeks has somewhat backfired though as now I'm thinking "Do I even need a car?" We've now converted to doing online shopping, no idea why we didn't do that already!

Though driving with aircon would've been rather nice so I didn't end up at the office sweating buckets haha.

i have been doing the same cycling everyday to work, dont miss the car at the moment.
as to the OP i would rather they took a bit longer and got the car right rather than rushing it if thats the case.

Soldato
Agreed, which is why I originally said more than 2 or 3 months I'd be looking elsewhere.

Definitely out of touch. This is not really out of the ordinary on a factory build taking a few months at all, even pre-COVID times :confused:
As I have said in a few posts early clearly I am out of touch but doesn't mean its any less surprising or dare I say wrong.

You plan ahead. I knew I would need a new car mid November so normally I would have ordered one around July, just in case of any delays. As it was with reading about all the chip and material shortages I ordered mine at beginning of May and it currently has a delivery date of 15th November. that's sure to slip though.
Which is fine which if you are aware there is a long lead time.

I'm assuming you have to pay a deposit to place the order then pay in full on arrival? What size is the deposit out of interest?

Soldato
£500 to confirm the order and book our build slot, we just kept my wifes car until they delivered as it was going in as part ex, I sold mine to them for cash while doing the paperwork for the new one.

Back
Top Bottom