• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New card £150(approx)

Associate
Hi all

I currently have the following setup

Gigabyte Z97X-SLI
Devils Canyon Core i5 4690K Bundle
SuperFlower FX 550W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply
Kingston HyperX Savage Red 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
XFX Radeon R9 390 "DD Black Edition" 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Could anyone recommend a gfx card upgrade for approx £150.

Soldato
I'd say 1660S is your best bet, it's a more healthy performance jump and shouldn't have too many problems in your system. If you buy anything higher end GPU wise I'd do so with a view of upgrading your other components soon after.

Associate
I have a 290x, which I think is similar performance to a 390, and I definitely would not buy an RX 590. As others have pointed out the performance uplift is pretty small.

Soldato
Clean up PC, sell and buy a new one. Only then will you get much of a difference. :)

£550 will buy you a 6c/12t CPU, 16GB DDR4 RAM, decent motherboard, nice fast SSD and an RX590 or similar, and obviously a case PSU etc. That might en up costing you £275 after the sale of your system, but it is better than putting up with what you have now.

A better balanced system will help these days, if you are playing more modern game titles lots of them need more than 8 threads available, and you only have 4, and only 8GB of RAM.

Associate
OP
Unless your card is dead I wouldn't bother. It's better to keep saving for a bigger jump.

A 590 would be 23% faster.
A 1660 Super would be 46% faster.

You'd really need to jump to a 2060 Super/5700 (OC) to double your performance. And also your CPU is gonna keep you behind in a fair few titles which will be even more evident if you get a new GPU.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-r9-390.c2664

The card is on the way out with it overheating and bluescreening

Back
Top Bottom