• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

new card advice?

Associate
i posted a new PC spec thread and req to stick to an AMD gpu but that's based on old biases.

i'll be sticking to 1080p gaming (single screen) for a while but just in case need it to have a HDMI port, the right DP connector for when/if i see a 4k TV i want and a dual link DVI for my old 30" 1600p Dell monitor.

for AMD anything ranging from a R9 380 to 390x would keep me going a while i'd imagine but as i know nothing about nvidia cards (haven't owned since a 7950gx2 eons ago) i'd like some advice pls on whether their price/performance is right for me?

i know both vendors do extras re: video encoding on their cards etc but afaik it's useless for me as i use HEVC for my encodes (x265) and need control of options/settings and not some invisible box with no options like intel offers with quicksync.

guess price wise my gpu max is around £300 but can stretch. will be paired with a 5820k and 32GB DDR4. rest of spec stulid recommended is here

thanks all.

Associate
Sapphire Nitro 390 269£
- Display Outputs: 1x Dual Link DVI, 3x DisplayPort (i think they made an error in the description, because i am positive it also have 1 HMDI)

XFX 390X 320£
Display Outputs: 2x Dual Link DVI, 1x HDMI, 1x DisplayPort

Last edited:
Associate
For 1080p gaming it's the R9 390 on the red team and the GTX 970 on the green team. Unless you intend to go up to 4k gaming at some point both are pretty similar, although the 970 pulls ahead in some games at 1080.

However if you do want to go up to 4k gaming at some point, then the 390 is the way to go. You would have to get a second 390 of course, but two 390s beats two 970s at 4k because of their extra VRAM.

The KFA2 970 here has dual-link DVI, HDMI and DP 1.2:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kfa2-geforce-gtx-970-ex-oc-black-edition-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-97nqh6dnb4tx-gx-006-gx.html

If you intend for all of those displays to be connected at the same time and game at 1080, I'd go with the 390 because of the extra VRAM frame buffer. Although I'd get the PowerColor 390 when they come back in stock:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powercolor-radeon-r9-390-pcs-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-axr9-390-8gbd5-ppdhe-gx-178-pc.html

Associate
OP
thanks Alamo/Frank :)

8GB on a gpu. aye that's overkill for 1080p. surely that's not needed even for 4k? unless it's across more than 1 monitor?

i would have them all connected but only game on 1 (i have a mini batcave of sorts going :) ), i tend to have all sorts across multiple screens. as long as the 390x has the right connectors then it looks like that's the one

i'm waiting on finances but hopefully will order before end of feb.

ta again :)

will post another thread about benefits of dirtect compute etc

Associate
8Gb is definitely overkill, but the 3.5Gb of the 970 is just not enough.

The 390x might be better for you than the 390, as long as you don't mind paying the extra, so you don't get any frame drop due to the multiple screens doing various things :)

Glad we helped!

Back
Top Bottom