New case... new fans??? Lian Li 011 air.

Associate
Afternoon all,

Bought myself a Lian Li 011 air.
I like it! And buying an Alphacool eisbear 360 with the intention of adding some hard clear tubing to it.

Now I cant decide what fans to get... I'll be migrating some of my phanteks 120mp out of it... and considering just filling the case out with them and connecting them to the xspc pwm hub for easy fan management.

Should I get something else though?
I've really liked my 120mp fans, although they are meant to be for radiators rather than case fans... would something like the Noctua S12A serve better as front intakes?
Also looked at the noiseblocker eloop stuff... looks good.. and I'll be going with a black and white theme... sooo...

In short... theres so many ****** fan options out there that I'm a bit lost.
Also I'll be replacing the front and bottom filters on the case with Demciflex filters and tech jesus said the filters are too restrictive on the case.

Help me OcUk... you're my only hope!!!

Soldato
would something like the Noctua S12A serve better as front intakes?
Also looked at the noiseblocker eloop stuff... looks good.. and I'll be going with a black and white theme... sooo...
Noctua S12 is good only when there's very minimal airflow impedance.
And looks seems to be only thing that fancy eLoop is good for:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1342-page7.html

Agree about Arctic P12.
Blade design/geometry should be good for good cooling per noise performance in most situations from normally obstructed case fan positions to cooler use.
And then there's also top level warranty for affordable price.

Associate
OP
Already ordered some phanteks 120 mp's.
Still haven't decided on what to install as front intakes though so I may look into the arctics.
They look kinda tacky though... what sort of noise do they emit?
My 120 mp's are near silent, not including the sound of the air being pushed/pulled.

Soldato
I agree with continuing to use PH-F120MP's. They are good fans at low price when bought in the multi-packs.

Associate
Actually bought 3 120mp phanteks due to already having two that came with a pre bundled Heatsink a couple years back , by far and away the best fans I've used in long time , very quiet , very smooth , shift a ton of air and there white so it stands out and reflect RGB lighting very well. Rate these extremely highly , mine sit in my dynamic and look stunning with RGB component , not over the top but also an astechilcy nice looking fan

Soldato
I've been using the arctics for a couple of months now and they are too loud for me under load

Is there a phanteks ph f140mp? I'm sure I read somewhere that the 140mm version was a different fan completely to the 120mm version or have a I dreamed that up?

How do they compare to the silent wings 3?

Soldato
I've been using the arctics for a couple of months now and they are too loud for me under load

Is there a phanteks ph f140mp? I'm sure I read somewhere that the 140mm version was a different fan completely to the 120mm version or have a I dreamed that up?

How do they compare to the silent wings 3?
No PH-F120 and PH-F140 are basically same, only difference is size and max rpm.

What do you mean? They are controlled by system temp so ramp up to 100% at 30c IIRC

I would set fans' speed to temp curve so it gradually ramps up as temps rise and reaches 100% speed at about 70c. Max temp to speed depends on what is critical temp for CPU and GPU.

Soldato
No PH-F120 and PH-F140 are basically same, only difference is size and max rpm.

I would set fans' speed to temp curve so it gradually ramps up as temps rise and reaches 100% speed at about 70c. Max temp to speed depends on what is critical temp for CPU and GPU.

Thanks, I'm about to buy them to replace the p series

70c system temp? It never goes over 35c the way it's currently set, the fans are at 20% until about 25c then start ramping up to 100% at 35 degrees works great just too loud, I think it's more the sound profile of the fans though they sound harsh

CPU is different curve, 70c 100% 65c 85%

Not seen it go over 62c

Soldato
Thanks, I'm about to buy them to replace the p series

70c system temp? It never goes over 35c the way it's currently set, the fans are at 20% until about 25c then start ramping up to 100% at 35 degrees works great just too loud, I think it's more the sound profile of the fans though they sound harsh

CPU is different curve, 70c 100% 65c 85%

Not seen it go over 62c
I would lower fan speed on fans that are making the noise so they slowly increase speed as temps increase up to about 60% @ 50c, and only go to 100% fan at about 65-70c.

Soldato
I would lower fan speed on fans that are making the noise so they slowly increase speed as temps increase up to about 60% @ 50c, and only go to 100% fan at about 65-70c.

I think we're confusing each other, case fans matched to system temp and CPU to cpu. No issues with CPU it's silent

Not sure about lowering the case fan speed, they are keeping everything cool under load, just the sound is annoying.

Soldato
I think we're confusing each other, case fans matched to system temp and CPU to cpu. No issues with CPU it's silent

Not sure about lowering the case fan speed, they are keeping everything cool under load, just the sound is annoying.
Would you set your CPU and GPU fan curves to run at 100% at 30c? Because the way you have case fans setup now is similar to setting CPU cooler fans so they run at 100% at 30c. If you did that everything would still run just as cool as it does now, but would be much louder.

In my builds I set case fans so their speed is dependent on CPU & GPU airflow needs, thus with speed curves similar to CPU and GPU fans usually using a system temp source or sometimes setting curve same as CPU fans for fans flowing air to CPU and GPU temps for fans flowing air to GPU. This way the case fans are flowing only as much air as CPU and GPU need instead of going to 100% speed at 30c which is not much above idle load.

Soldato
Would you set your CPU and GPU fan curves to run at 100% at 30c? Because the way you have case fans setup now is similar to setting CPU cooler fans so they run at 100% at 30c. If you did that everything would still run just as cool as it does now, but would be much louder.

In my builds I set case fans so their speed is dependent on CPU & GPU airflow needs, thus with speed curves similar to CPU and GPU fans usually using a system temp source or sometimes setting curve same as CPU fans for fans flowing air to CPU and GPU temps for fans flowing air to GPU. This way the case fans are flowing only as much air as CPU and GPU need instead of going to 100% speed at 30c which is not much above idle load.

Sorry I'm a bit lost, CPU max target temp is 70c

With system temp the warmest I've seen is 35c

Are you saying I should set the target temp to 45c 100% so that they never get to 100% ?

Thanks btw

Soldato
Sorry I'm a bit lost, CPU max target temp is 70c

With system temp the warmest I've seen is 35c

Are you saying I should set the target temp to 45c 100% so that they never get to 100% ?

Thanks btw
Set the system fan temp at 45c @ 100%. Maybe even higher depending on how it effects CPU and GPU temps. yhe csae only needs to flow enough air to supply cool air to cooler fans, so if cooler fans are running at 50%, there is no reason for case fans to be running faster .. as long as they are supplying cooler with cool air. ;)

Soldato
Set the system fan temp at 45c @ 100%. Maybe even higher depending on how it effects CPU and GPU temps. yhe csae only needs to flow enough air to supply cool air to cooler fans, so if cooler fans are running at 50%, there is no reason for case fans to be running faster .. as long as they are supplying cooler with cool air. ;)

Ok I understand what you are saying now, I upped the case fans to max out at 45C which let my CPU and GPU temps get higher by a couple degrees while gaming for an hour 65C on CPU and 74C on GPU

Edit - forgot to mention, decent amount quieter too

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok I understand what you are saying now, I upped the case fans to max out at 45C which let my CPU and GPU temps get higher by a couple degrees while gaming for an hour 65C on CPU and 74C on GPU
Is that different from their temps before you raised case fan temp curve? I'm guessing about the same. Did system run longer quietly before fan noise levels increased?

Back
Top Bottom