New Chipset Fan Install problem on 'Asus A8N SLI' mobo

Associate
OP
Thermaltake A1899 Chipset Cooler (009159)

I found a few reviews on an american site: I think this is what'll I'll go for (reviews were for A8N SLI mobo's)

Pros: -Good fan overall, i gave it a high rating but im mostly gonna concentrate on the cons. -easy installating -Can mount on any MB preatty much, i mounted it on an ASUs A8N-E mb. -thermal grease included -South Bridge heatsync also included Cons: -Need to use the fan speed controller included in the package in order to get Low-Med-High settings. I tried hooking the fan directly to the MB adaptor and the fan goes to its 9000RPM status -Loud on anything but 5kRPMS right now my nforce4 chipset is at 27 celsius while running world of warcraft and a whole bunch of other apps in the background.

good fan had some troubles with the posts other than that im happy

Nicely done, lowered my temp by 2 degrees and stays stable. Recommended for high-end mobos with intel HT technology

good product-easy install-would recommend it to anyone

Installed it into an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo based system. According to online forums, the chipset fan on these boards is problematic. Mine started ''performing'' at 700 RPM's or so and then I found this... Installing this fan because of the push pin set up was a pain in the neck. Not because of ThermalTake... because of the mobo setup. Mobo had to be removed, pins clips and then this installed. Fairly painless install. The perfomance is awesome! It IS a little loud at full steam but it's better than frying your chipset. If you overclock, get it. You need it. You won't be sorry unless you don't have it...!

Great mounting. Little loud at full steam, but it sounds pretty cool. Like a jet. My computer loads video games a lot faster now.

Associate
richard1973 said:
I just tried that number but all I got was some woman who refused to do anything othe than notebook enquiries and said go to asus.com. However I did hear a reply from Asus a few days ago who emailed me an excel parts replacement form. But she gave me an email address that fired back a mailor daemon, so I replied back to her to chase up...and of course she didn't email me back.

I had a look on Asus's forum and there was a related thread made by some guy who had done the same steps as me, and the person who dealt with his enquiries was a Maggie from China, which was also the same person who contacted me. He also got the same problem, he was advised to email someone called Anji and he too got a mailor daemon. So that filled me with hope! Why isn't anything straight forward lol

I don't suppose you still have the email address to who you sent your form to?

thanks.

[email protected] is who I mailed the form back to and got the confirmation that a replacement was being sent out.

Associate
OP
thanks farooqm, much appreciated :)

hmm to get that new fan I was looking at or not, I guess I might as well waite and see what Asus's new one is like.

cheers for that.

Associate
OP
It's an excellent motherboard (had mine since Jan 2005), its just the chipset fan is iffy. £5 can sort that out, i'm gonna go for the zander heat sink, seems to be a popular choice.

Associate
I had the same problem with the northbridge fan. I ended up watercooling in the end. but i discovered after removing the original heatsink that it is actually possible to remove the fn from it without actually taking the motherboard out of the case. if i was u i would try this first and run the computer for a while first and see if the temps are much different. when my fan was running at 0 rpm and making a lot of noise the chipset temps never seemed to rise more than a degree or so. Its worth a try. It could save you the hassle of dismantling your whole machine for no reason. All you need is one of those really small screwdrivers. if you look in between the blades of the fan you will see 3 small screws. Unscrew them and disconnect he fan lead from the motherboard. It should just slip out. You will need to disable the fan monitor. Just keep an eye on your temps and see how you get on. hope this helps.

Associate
I forgot to mention. My friend is usint the zalman passive heatsink on that motherboard and he has no problems. It does mean taking out the motherboard though.

Associate
OP
thanks Jak, I'd already taken out the mobo to remove the old fan anyway. I've temp got the Akasa chipset fan on.

I've just ordered:

Akasa AK-CB423-ADPT 4 - 3pin adapter cable (CB-012-AK) (for the delta fan below)

Delta 80mm Fan (EHE) (FG-004-DE)

Zalman ZM-NB47J Northbridge Cooler (SY-007-ZA)

So when i've got all that in, I'll post the temp results... Or more problems that may occur heh.

Associate
OP
quick question while I still got the akasa fan running on my chipset. It's not fully tight on the chipset so I presume the chip is getting hot (though asus probe gives no iregular temp) would the fan thats held in place by tape thats not quite touching all the time, becuase tape is getting loose so i have to keep adusting tape. Would this cause my pc just to restart itself? It's been doing it all day, mainly when I try to get the pc to do a few things, when ever it needs to load something that puts a slight strain on pc it restarts.

Its not like i have a low specs pc:

A8N SLI
1 gig ram
geforce 6600
athlon 3200 64bit

Associate
OP
anyone know what these files are trojan remover finds:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\dtscsi\"ImagePath"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sptd\"ImagePath"

i dont know whether to delete them as i'm not sure what they are (in case these are to blame for pc restarting) Also IE seems to be restarting PC unless that's coincidence.

Soldato
Anyone know of a heatsink I can buy which is as slim as the original? I have 2 x 6800 Ultra's running in SLi and both have Arctic Coolers on, so there is no way anything bigger will fit under the GFX card.

Associate
Hey,

I didn't really feel like taking my MB out to do a possibly risky heatsink replace (heard of the chip crumbling..!) so i've just ordered a 40mm case fan which i'll stick on top of the stock heatsink (with the stock fan removed of course) People have recommended this as a quick and easy solution... gone with a SilentX, so should be quiet.. Comes with a 3 pin adapter as well so i'll fit it to the CPU fan connection. hardly ideal but anything will be better than the clicking and constant stopping!

Might be a bit of a squeeze though next to the graphics cards.. but i'll post how I get on...

btw for the record is the fan supposed to blow air into the heatsink or out?

Also bought a 120mm intake fan which will help general airflow :D

Thanks folks

Associate
OP
Anyone? Is the fan supposed to blow into the heatsink or out?

It should blow onto it I think, either way it doesn't matter, if you buy a 40mm by 40mm fan it'll do the correct job.

I hope the fan you bought has the correct pins to plug into the mobo?? Otherwise you'll have the first problem I had when I bought the Akas 40mm x 40mm fan, it wouldnt attach!!

I went for the heatsink as stated earlier in topic and it works a treat, MB temp is at 32 degrees. I also added that Delta fan 80mm x 80mm for case that blows in general direction off heatsink, it brought the temp down to 27. However the sound is on a par with a jet airplane!! So i've unplugged the fan as I don't need it, I may just have it plugged in during the summer if it's needed.

Associate
I decided to take a calculated risk today and replace the fan on my Northbridge chip without removing the mobo. Obviously I don't recommend this as it does have a risk element to it... but it can be done. I removed the graphics card to give me more room. I then unplugged the 3 pin connector and removed the 4 small screws on top of the fan. Again all this was done to allow more room to get to the 2 mounting pins that go through the motherboard. I also loosened three mobo mounting screws to give a little more movement under the mobo. Then taking care using a very sharp pair of clippers I cut the pins as close th the mobo as I could. Then pushed them through the holes and retrieved the pieces. Now this is a little scary to do but it worked and the Zalman cooler was a doddle to apply. There are a couple of electrical componants very close to one of the pins so take care not to damage it.
I just wanted to add my own experiance to the masses. Yes if you are capable of removing the mobo then do it. I did not want to do that and in my instance it paid off (this time)

Soldato
Richard, did you get this problem sorted in the end? Ive got the exact same prob with my mobo, the sli chip fan is screaming at me all the time.

Let me know what you did in the end please? And what fan/heatsink you ended up buying that worked?

cheers

Associate
hey gusy having same peoblem i was looking at the Zalman ZM-NB47J Northbridge Cooler thats o nthe site for sale. it looks quite big will this be a problen with my grx card 7800gt as it like very close

Soldato
I may be getting a Swiftech Chipset Cooler but im not sure it will fit next to my Zalman CNPS9500 LED. Would be much better though because its a all copper.

Back
Top Bottom