New computer design

Associate
Hey guys, new on the forum here. I'm an engineer that designs special cases - I've designed for AMD, Nvidia, Samsung and other top technology companies. I have an interesting project I wanted to share, commissioned by AMD to showcase the launch of their new 5000 series processor and 6000 series GPUs. They asked for the most beautiful computer case in the world. I had a few main goals:
1. To make it intricate and gorgeous.
2. keep it COMPACT
3. No bolts visible
4. No wires visible
5. Excellent cooling abilities including 4 140mm fans.
6. Mainstream: to fit an ATX power supply, aATX OR EATX motherboard, and largest video card on the market, 4 3.5 HDDs (I am a power user and store big files in a RAID array) and up to 8 2.5 SSDs

And so I set off to make it. So, let's begin on how I am tackling these items:
1. I chose 12mm thick billet aircraft-grade 7075 T3 aluminum for its ability to take a very high polish. The entire case consists of just 14 pieces, all milled on a CNC machine. No thin sheet metal in this sucker. Even the mobo tray and right panel is 3mm thick aluminum (most cases are made from .8 or 1mm)
2. I designed it around the Golden Ratio, said to be the most perfect shape in the natural world. The dimensions are 230mm wide x 370.3 high x 370.3 from front to back.
3. There will be not a single bolt or screw visible, not even the back. Speaking of the back, just this piece takes a whopping 22 hours to mill on a CNC machine and truth be told, I designed it to be a masterpeice.
4. Inside the case, you will not see any wires. None. This is done by milling channels from the top where the power button and USB PCB board resides, to just below the motherboard.
5. Water cooling is a big deal, but with such compact dimensions, it has no room for a decent radiator. and so, because it is thick aluminum, I decided to make the entire case as a liquid cooling radiator. And so, I milled channel where water enters, and then it is split in two streams where it slows down and enters a turbulent state to get an even temperature before it passes over a series of fins, moving slowly so they can absorb the most Heat. In the water is accelerated to the next chamber where repeats the process and then exits the top of the case. There will be a 10mm lexan covers that match the exact shape as the water channels, including the turbulator extrusions for excellent heat exchange. in the photos and video below, you can see these airfoil-shaped extrusions are in a break between the fins, and are at a slight angle splitting the channels. As water comes through the channel, it will decelerate and begin traveling through the fins. the water will be constantly mixed as it travels through the channel, which will allow the fins to absorb the most heat. The water will then be accelerated into the next chamber, there the process will repeat. Additional read will heat dissipated by contact with the front and rear panels. The total thermal efficiency of this system will be equivalent to about 3 280mm radiators.

And so, here you go:
KYR5n7Fhc5VmqA

SYUifF0-4xF1nQ

scKybw4kA6Hlug

CpTZKnPksAhdjA

And here is some video actually making the rear panel and top panel:

All being said, each case will take about 60-70 hours to build. Let me know what you think!

Back
Top Bottom