New concept design: thoughts?

Man of Honour
SiD the Turtle said:
I've just moved into corporate web dev and all the sites I get to develop are very boring, almost zero graphics and flair, all SQl connected forms and the like.
Aye, that's pretty much the same for me - functionality over flair, I even have to fight to not use tables wherever possible :eek:

Associate
Looks a bit over the top. Its like a Counter-Strike clan, it will come and it will go but it probably wont ever do anything.

who knows...

Una

Una

Associate
I think it looks really nice. You should maybe move the title (blog) into the blue section as other people have said. There is quite a lot of blank blue space under there. The girl looks awsome also :)

Permabanned
OP
Any better?

designcut2sb7.jpg

Associate
I like it so far :)

Although I a few gripes mainly because I have seen the lined look in a lot of designs.

1. I'm not keen on the diagonal lines. More so on the content divider rather than the background. If you keep a solid block colour on the content div then I reckon it will look better.

2. The design looks a little 'bunched up' - not spectacularly, but just a few things like the navigation. Do you really need all those links? How about a few links with a sub nav bar underneath the logo?
2.1 The design cut is clickable, removing the need for a home link
2.2 Is the archive the blog archive? Maybe that should go underneath blog and if your home page is your blog front page then why not just remove the blog link?
2.3 Contact page could be integrated to the about page. Like at www.joshuaink.com

3. I agree about the logo stroke, it doesn't match the rest of the design. Think of a flower - frail and delicate.

4. The articles on the front page look a little simple. Why not make them nice and pretty by including the whole of the article on the front page and include a floated image in the top right. A little thumbnail of the event described in the article (snow patrol etc).

5. You have a drop shadow on the right but the left looks a little plain. How about a border on the left of the content?

6. The drop shadow doesn't start until around 10 pixels down into the page. Are you intending to stick the whole thing straight from the top or are you have a top margin? If not then I dunno, maybe it would look better if it was consistently flowing down the page. Less like a drop shadow and more a gradient stuck to the right of the content divider.

Just my 2 cents of course :)

Soldato
Nah the second one is nowhere near as good as the first one. I dont understand people complaining about the space at the bottom of the banner. From my design perspective its a nice space. Makes it uncluttered and easy on the eyes. I like the way the swirls/flowers arent cut off in the first one too. Much easier on the eyes. I also prefer the 'designcut' on the first one.

Just do the first one without the girl and you're done mate :p

(Maybe a better rollover highlight on the nav though :p)

Man of Honour
The first one.

Keep the girl silhouette/graphic ( maybe reduce a bit in width ) and move the nav bars to the right " floating" ( As Randomtom suggested) over the top right corner area ( i.e just covering the edge of the girls hair. )

Maybe reduce the stroke around "Design Cut" so its not touching the very top of the page.

I feel embarressed posting any criticism of this . :o

Great Stuff,

Mark

Back
Top Bottom