New Core i7 MacBook Pros reach 100 °C

I'm not entirely surprised to hear that the new MBPs run hot, the generation I've got get hot enough in Windows or doing anything 3D oriented.

Lets face it, Unibody looks good and is a joy to use but is unfathomably lame at dissipating heat.

Soldato
I'm not entirely surprised to hear that the new MBPs run hot, the generation I've got get hot enough in Windows or doing anything 3D oriented.

Lets face it, Unibody looks good and is a joy to use but is unfathomably lame at dissipating heat.

Rot.

Unibody is better at dissipating heat than the older Aluminium machines. The 2006 original spec MBPs when stressing the GPU could get the base of the machine uncomfortably hot until an EFI and SMC update reset the fan programming. Gaming on my lap would end up with toasted knees!

My 13" unibody is fine, the 15" unibodies I've used have been fine, even my mates 17" i5 that arrived yesterday was fine when I was giving it a good test.

The CPUs are being run within spec and the user benefits from a well built, lightweight, slim and quiet running machine.

MagicBoy said:

I beg to differ, the underside and top of my machine (on the beam that runs near the function keys) gets ridiculously hot during gaming. This is echoed by the fact the fans are spinning like the clappers during a L4D2 session, which is hardly quiet (admittedly it's still better than a PC at full chat).

It may be better than the older MBPs, but it's still a long way off being "fine" IMO.

Soldato
I've got a Core i7 720 in my HP laptop. Reaches 80+ under full load, and that's with a conventional fan exhaust arrangement, so it's not hard to see why they get hot in MacBooks.

That's a given, but there's hot and then there's hot. It's not surprising though when you see all there is cooling the CPU/GPU:

r5xCtYODow1ZZwT3.jpg

Associate
I have a 2008 15" MBP 2.4Ghz and it often hits hits 80C and then 100C when doing heavy duty stuff like video encoding etc. Does seem extremely high, anyway of reducing it down?

Soldato
The case of my 2008 2.4GHz gets far too hot to touch, and eventually the motherboard fried itself. They replaced it, but it's still too hot so no longer game on it. Won't buy another.

Back
Top Bottom