New Dawn

Associate
We are starting a brand new project and this time, putting my ugly mug in fornt of the camera too! Im hoping to do more of my builds via videos so people can actually see them coming together, alongside my usualy write ups.

This build will be based on the following hardware spec;

• be quiet! Dark Base 700
  • MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi
  • AMD Ryzen 3700X
  • 32Gb TeamGroup Xcalibur 4x8Gb DDR4-3600
  • EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra
  • 1Tb Seagate FireCuda 520 Gen 4 M.2
  • 500Gb Seagate FireCuda 520 Gen 4 M.2
  • 10Tb Seagate IronWolf Pro
  • be quiet! Straight Power Pro 11 850 PSU
  • be quiet! Individually Sleeved Cables – Black
  • be quiet! Silent Wings 3 120mm x7
  • Custom Alphacool Loop inc 2x 360mm Radiators
The Dark Base 700 is one of my favorite all-time cases and I have been dying to do another build in this since I did Project Octane. With the recent release of the Pure Base 500DX from be quiet!, I want to bring more airflow to the 700 with some custom 3D printed case mods and panels. This will be a be quiet! themed build so it’s all black and orange on this one with a few other custom parts to really help it stand out.

Il be using this as my day to day rig, it will be great to take advantage of Gen 4 storage and while the RTX2070 will do for now, hopefully, I will be able to upgrade this in the future. I’m going for an all Alphacool hardline loop with dual 360s to ensure this one stays as cool as it can. Its also the first time I will be using an MSI motherboard, I mainly went for this to fit the black and orange theme, and because of the dual M.2 slots.

Last edited:
Soldato
I watched the first half. Two suggestions: first, you have a lot of the products blocking our view of you so have them on either side of you; second, you're clearly not a practised speaker and your throat dries at a couple of points, so have a cup of tea or glass of water handy, just like Linus on Linus Tech Tips does.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input bud, yeah I did wonder about breaking thia one up into 2 episodes to keep them shorter and so there wasnt as much in the way.

All a learning curve, sure it will get better as i go :)

Associate
OP
Thanks @Deus Ex, Yeah there were a lot of parts, its something il sort out for part 2. Part of this move to Youtube is that I was sent a new electric desk by Ergo Desks so that comes in really handy for not only Youtube but for the practical side of building these rigs. To get me and all the parts in meant raising it quite high. It will mainly be just me and the case for part 2 onward with a few components here and there. thanks again, taking everything onboard as I go.

Man of Honour
Good effort for your first vid.

You need to keep more eye contact with the camera you kept looking away. Maybe put a picture next to the camera so you have something to talk to.

You kept saying eerm when you just needed to pause and take a breath, maybe slow down a little.

Looking forward to part 2.

Soldato
For your intro, I'd recommend taking a shot of all the kit by itself, possibly stacked in a snazzy fashion, or a wide shot of everything on your bench. You wouldn't build with everything stacked on the table, so maybe break the build down into Mobo/CPU/RAM, then GPU alone, then Case/Fans/PSU, with separate shots of mounting watercooling bits.

Talking naturally to the camera is really tough - it's why a lot of YouTubers have a camera guy - then it's more like you're chatting to a mate and comes across far more relaxed - appreciate this is an early stage but if you have someone who can sit behind your camera, it might help.

Don't be afraid to give yourself a script/keynotes - and if you find yourself tripping over your tongue, just start that bit again - editing fluffed words is a very simple process - you can disguise cuts & edits by stitching a shot of the product in between takes, so you don't appear to "jump".

It's a huge learning curve and the more footage/takes you do, the easier it is to knit a decent review together.

You can always keep the best bloopers for a separate/end take ;)

Associate
OP
A quick teaser of the new Dark Base front panel before its cut today.

I will reprint the vents for this to tidy things up more but it should all start coming together really soon.

118312073-310713073710127-5691140433990039149-n.jpg

Associate
OP
Thanks, @Baden, its took a back seat for a little while. The panel is cut and I have printed the main parts but I am still not happy with them to be honest. Il get round to doing some more on this soon, I might stick a couple of pics up to see what people think and maybe re-evaluate.

Soldato
Part 2 was a vast improvement - keeping it simple, talking direct to the camera, letting the kit/build do the talking. You come across a lot more confident and therefore professional.

I take it you've invested in a camera slide rail for panning shots? - or just using a slide focus technique?
It's great to add that movement into otherwise still shots and brings more depth.

Great work and looking forward to seeing more ☺️

Back
Top Bottom