New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
Mine just arrived. Not sure if I'll get a chance to set it up today.

Set up last night - dropped the brightness down to 50% but that's about all I changed. Panel is flawless. Really enjoying it but shame I found out that my G-Sync compatible GTX 980 isn't Freesync-G-Sync compatible.... boooo...

Ready for my 3080 now...

Set up last night - dropped the brightness down to 50% but that's about all I changed. Panel is flawless. Really enjoying it but shame I found out that my G-Sync compatible GTX 980 isn't Freesync-G-Sync compatible.... boooo...

Ready for my 3080 now...
At least you have a GPU. The only part of my pc build i have is... this Dell monitor, haha. Waiting on a 3080 and Zen 3.

Associate
Hi,

I have a problem that I don't understand with this S2721DGF AMD FreeSync monitor with G-Sync compatibility and how to fix it:

I have the PC connected with DisplayPort and when I start cold, the boot is not seen (the message "No DP signal from your device. Enter Power Save Mode" comes out.

As soon as the windows starts, the video magically appears.

If I press reset (immediately after cold power up), or if I restart windows, the boot shows correctly.

With the HDMI instead, there is no such problem. With the old monitor (Dell U2312HM) I didn't have this problem with the DisplayPort.

In the monitor there is no option to disable the power saving...

The video card is a Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 550 (I had a GeForce 750Ti before, but it had the same problem)

I also tried to change some settings in the bios, but nothing to do....

Since no one has talked about this problem so far, what do you think it could depend on?
From the video card, from the motherboard, from the bios, or what?

Associate
there is a fix shown on you tube basically unplug pc and monitor power down both wait a minute or so then plug both back in and reboot it seems its a detection problem

Soldato
but do I have to do this every time I turn on the pc?

Not in my experience, I've been fine on DP since...but I've not tried going back to HDMI again and then going back again to displayport. Maybe its some sort of firmware bug on the monitor, I can't think what else it would be.

Soldato
Me and a few friends with the same monitor have been having 1 niggly annoying issue with this display. Randomly the refresh rate will lock from 165Hz to 60Hz. Very noticeable, seems to happen couple of times a week depending on usage but it seems the only way to sort it is to pull out display port from graphics card and plug it back in - 165 Hz again no problem.

TLDR: If you have an issue where your refresh rate keeps locking to 60Hz just reconnect your DP cable to your graphics card. (p.s. this is not advice and i am not responsible if anything blows up :D)

Associate
Hey, I've had the monitor for a few days but I'm noticing a lot of glow in bottom corners specifically left corners that ruins dark scenes. Is this typical blb/glow or is my unit worse than others? https://youtu.be/3tUjX1m2bYA Wondering if it's worth an RMA or if I should just return within my return window. Thanks.

Soldato
Hey, I've had the monitor for a few days but I'm noticing a lot of glow in bottom corners specifically left corners that ruins dark scenes. Is this typical blb/glow or is my unit worse than others? https://youtu.be/3tUjX1m2bYA Wondering if it's worth an RMA or if I should just return within my return window. Thanks.

That doesn't look too bad to me, but you have various light sources shining on the screen so it's difficult to tell from the video.

Associate
That doesn't look too bad to me, but you have various light sources shining on the screen so it's difficult to tell from the video.
Thank you, here is a video without light sources and at 40% brightness. https://youtu.be/Hq16tMf-FFg The only issue for me is the bottom left corner which makes scenes in dark games/cutscenes cloudy in a large part of that corner. Wasn't sure if that is common or if i should seek RMA.

Associate
How does this monitor compare to the
ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q, 27 Inch ?
Benefit of the PG279Q is the physical G-Sync module, however, in every other aspect the Dell is better IMO.

The Dell has an LG Nano-IPS panel, whereas the PG has a dated IPS panel and you would also have to put up with ASUS bad customer service as well as the bad QC issues ASUS monitors tend to have.

Back
Top Bottom